Finishing DITHOR 4/5 or Skipping to DITHOR 6/7/8

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
StephanieU

Finishing DITHOR 4/5 or Skipping to DITHOR 6/7/8

Post by StephanieU » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:30 pm

This year my oldest started DITHOR 4/5 with the 5/6 book pack. She is in RtR. and if anything school is easy for her.

I am wondering what to do for next year and DITHOR. She will move to the 6/7 books, but should I have her finish the 4/5 workbook or move her on to the 6/7/8 so she can complete that level before high school?
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

my3sons

Re: Finishing DITHOR 4/5 or Skipping to DITHOR 6/7/8

Post by my3sons » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:36 pm

StephanieU wrote:This year my oldest started DITHOR 4/5 with the 5/6 book pack. She is in RtR. and if anything school is easy for her.

I am wondering what to do for next year and DITHOR. She will move to the 6/7 books, but should I have her finish the 4/5 workbook or move her on to the 6/7/8 so she can complete that level before high school?
Hi Stephanie! What grade are you considering your daughter in right now? Personally, I have a general pacing goal for our sons to complete 2/3, 4/5, and 6/7/8 Student Workbooks at least once each prior to starting high school WG lit - not that pacing has to go that way. It just prepared them well for high school lit in WG. Just wondering if she is doing a pace of a guide a year, and if so, if that will bring her to WG as a 9th grader or as an 8th grader, in which case she could slow it down if need be at that point. Really, I guess I am wondering how much time we have left before she will potentially start high school I guess! Thanks!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:11 pm

In most things, we consider her a 6th grader. She is with that grade at church and at Awana (at another church). She may or may not graduate at 17 though, depending on her future goals. Since dual enrollment is free in our state and we don't report a grade level, we may wait to graduate her until she is 18.
We did 2 genres of Dithor with Bigger, 4 with Preparing, and then finished the rest in CtC. But I forgot to order the next level of workbook, so we didn't start level 4/5 workbook until this year. She will get 3-4 genres done easily this year.
Last edited by StephanieU on Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mom to

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:51 pm

Thanks for getting back to me, Stephanie! Prior to starting WG Lit, it is excellent preparation to have completed DITHOR 6/7/8. So, depending on how much time you think you have prior to starting WG Lit, I would say I'd try to for sure do all of DITHOR 6/7/8. If you will have more time, it would be nice to finish more or all of 4/5 prior to that. If she does begin WG in 8th grade and you choose to spread that guide out over longer than a calendar year, you can always do DITHOR 6/7/8 for a portion of WG as well, as long as you also have the time to complete the lit planned in WG prior to moving to WH. So, lots of options! But, the first priority would be to complete all of 6/7/8 prior to starting WG Lit. The second priority, working back, would be to complete some/all of the rest of 4/5 as able, depending both on how 4/5 is currently going for her and on how much time she has before WG high school lit will start. Hope that helps as you ponder what pacing you'd most enjoy with your daughter!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:12 pm

Thanks Julie!

So it sounds like when we start Rev2Rev, we should start DITHOR 6/7/8 workbook regardless of where we are in the 4/5 workbook. I think she can handle it fine, as DITHOR 4/5 isn't a huge challenge for her. Her only challenge is the physical act of writing, which she CAN do but dislikes tremendously.
Mom to

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:55 am

StephanieU wrote:Thanks Julie!

So it sounds like when we start Rev2Rev, we should start DITHOR 6/7/8 workbook regardless of where we are in the 4/5 workbook. I think she can handle it fine, as DITHOR 4/5 isn't a huge challenge for her. Her only challenge is the physical act of writing, which she CAN do but dislikes tremendously.
I think that sounds like a good plan, and the physical act of writing does begin to improve! I've been encourages by the growth in that area I've seen in my own 11 yo doing RTR right now. I was disheartened at the start of RTR, as his writing growth seemed to have plateaued or even worsened (probably due to time off in the summer). Just this past few weeks, however, he is diligently writing more carefully and more completely. I honestly think it is due to the Boyhood and Beyond Bible study we are doing together more than anything! The Godly character traits we have been discussing have done more to nudge him to try a little harder and do his best than any amount of my 'encouraging' him to do so!!! Anyway, your daughter may really enjoy the upped independence 6/7/8 affords her, and I think she will grow into the writing of it just fine given time. Have a good Friday, Stephanie!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie