Can we talk learning styles?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Bijou

Can we talk learning styles?

Post by Bijou » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:10 am

I am always a bit overwhelmed when I see posts and articles on FB about learning styles. I agree to a certain extent that we should try to match our curriculum to our children's different leaning styles, but I also see some harm in putting such an emphasis on them too. After all, in the real world not everyone will care what our children's learning styles are. College, the work force, etc. Shouldn't we be teaching our children how to compensate for what their weaknesses may be? We all have weaknesses in certain areas. I just feel like maybe in the homeschool world we take it a little too far as far as focusing on learning styles and catering to our children because of that. This is our 9th year homeschooling and I haven't completely figured everything out yet. I am hoping one day that I will actually know what I am doing. LOL! Having said all that, I see where HOD can fit many learning styles and that is one thing I like about it. Am I wrong?
Mom to:
DS 18
DD 16
DS 13

manyblessings

Re: Can we talk learning styles?

Post by manyblessings » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:35 pm

I like HOD for that same reason, it works for all different learning styles, giving children practice in all modalities. I think it is good to be aware of your children's learning styles (and your own learning and teaching styles!), but I agree children should also practice using them all. I also think that more than just working for all learning styles, HOD gives children of all learning styles a chance to shine in their strengths, but also allows them to feel competent in other ways through guided practice.
Lourdes
Happily married since 2009
Mom of 4 adults and 1 homeschooler
Used Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RevtoRev

StephanieU

Re: Can we talk learning styles?

Post by StephanieU » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:52 am

I agree. I don't want to teach with only one methods of delivering information. I don't want my kids to only show learning through one type of assessment. And I am glad HOD contains multiple delivery methods and multiple types of assessment.
If a student has a significant learning disability that makes learning through one method impossible, then obviously don't use that. (I have a nephew with severe dyslexia, so having him learn by reading on his own is not an option. But audio books and video are still both methods that should be used.)
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)