Shared Curriculum Continuation

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
capetersen0607

Shared Curriculum Continuation

Post by capetersen0607 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:42 am

I am planning on using BHFHG next year (my first use of HoD!). I would like to use it with my 9 year old and my 7 year old. The younger moves along a little faster than the older one. My question is: if my younger goes through Bigger Hearts at 7, but is not ready for Beyond the following year, would I use Bigger Hearts yet again with him?

I realize I could add in DITHOR the second year, but what about the other pieces? I appreicate in advance any input!!! May you have a blessed day!

StephanieU

Re: Shared Curriculum Continuation

Post by StephanieU » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:57 am

First, after Bigger comes Preparing. Beyond comes before Bigger.
Second, does your 7yo place into Bigger in the placement chart? Where does the 9yo place?
Repeating a guide is not recommended. Adding DITHOR wouldn't change the content really. You could do the extensions a second year, but it would mean making a plan for notebooking, science experiments, etc (there are basic guidelines in the appendix, but they aren't detailed like a normal guide).

I guess my question is why do you want to combine them in Bigger? It might be easier for you to just place each one where they fit best. If they both for best in Bigger (or Bigger and Preparing), them combining in Bigger should work. Just go at their place, slowing down as needed. If they can complete the guide as written and are reading well (done with the emerging readers), moving on to Preparing shouldn't be an issue.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

capetersen0607

Post by capetersen0607 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:59 am

Thank you! Sorry for my confusion about the order of the guides! I was going off memory....which clearly isn't that good yet! ;)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:52 pm

Bigger Hearts for His Glory (BHFHG) has a target age range for 7-9 years old, so both of your children are within the recommended age range. My oldest son used BHFHG when he was 7 years old, and he moved into Preparing Hearts for His Glory (PHFHG) just fine at 8 years old! He was an early writer and strong reader though. I think you should start this year with BHFHG and see how it goes. If your daughter is able to do all of the writing in BHFHG, and if her reading is developing to be quite strong, she will be ready for PHFHG. If you find she isn't ready for PHFHG the following year, then we can chat about whether it is better for her to drop back to Beyond or to do PHFHG half-speed. I think you will love BHFHG! It is complete, Christ-centered and full of awesome Charlotte Mason living books that make American history so inspiring! I hope this helps, but if you have more questions, ask away!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie