Landmark biographies/books?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Sub01

Landmark biographies/books?

Post by Sub01 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:13 pm

Hello! I’m a new homeschool mom and I have really appreciated Carrie’s thoughtful selection and reasons for choosing or leaving out particular materials. I am currently in the “building” phase for my home library. I want my children to have a great place to go for high quality literature. I have heard a lot of homeschool moms speaK highly of Landmark books. I looked though the Heart of Dakota catalog and only saw one landmark listed in an extension package. Maybe I missed some which is possible. But I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a reason we may want to stay away from those? Or maybe they are good books, but you just can’t schedule every single good book into a curriculum and they are worth having for our children to read. Any thoughts would be great!!

kidsforHim

Re: Landmark biographies/books?

Post by kidsforHim » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:36 pm

They are excellent books! We own several due to a friend who used to work for the public school of which the school's library was clearing out books & these landmark books were included.
I found some reviews online: "This series is superlatively well done and is a major contribution to the information and inspiration of young Americans today," --May Hill Arbuthnot in Elementary English

"They are ideal teaching aids since they present authentic information on American history in such vivid and realistic manner that boys and girls read the books voluntarily," --Bulletin of the National Association of Secondary School Principals

"One of the most critically acclaimed, best-selling children's books series ever published," --The New York Times

Reviews by Homeschooling Experts:
"...a treasure worth digging for at used-book stores," --Greenleaf Press

Sub01

Re: Landmark biographies/books?

Post by Sub01 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:04 pm

That is helpful! Thanks.