Placement for son in 8th grade (next year)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Jenny S

Placement for son in 8th grade (next year)

Post by Jenny S » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:56 pm

I have been using MFW for 1st through 7th grade for my oldest son. He has completed (by the end of this year) all of the history time periods. In looking forward to high school, I really am thinking that Heart of Dakota will be the best fit for him. That being said I would like to have him complete one of the middle school guides for his 8th grade year so that he is familiar with the flow of how HOD is set up. Even though he would place in the MTMM I really don't think that would be best since we are studying that same material this year (even using Story of the World 4). My thought was to have him in Rev to Rev and use the extension and the Advanced Science package for Physical Science credit. He is using Apologia General Science this year.

Any thoughts from those experienced using this curriculum would be most appreciated! I am a little nervous about the switch, but my heart keeps coming back to this curriculum!

Thanks!

Jenny

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Placement for son in 8th grade (next year)

Post by Carrie » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Jenny,

Welcome to the HOD Board! We are glad you are here! :D

Normally, we would encourage you to place your son in MTMM if that is where he fits best on the placement chart. However, if you feel that he has done that particular time period this past year, then it would be workable to consider Revival to Revolution instead.

I do think that Rev2Rev would give you a good introduction to HOD and allow your son to get the pattern and feel of the guides prior to high school. There is a jump between Rev2Rev and World Geography, so you may want to take another look at MTMM just to be sure that there is as much overlap in content as you think. Yet, I do think Revival to Revolution is a workable plan. :D

In order to be well-prepared for the high school literature in the World Geography guide, you would want to do DITHR Level 6/7/8 with the level 6/7 or 7/8 book pack as part of whichever HOD guide you choose. You will also need to make sure to have the correct level of grammar and math in place too!

I pray you enjoy HOD as much as we have and are! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Jenny S

Post by Jenny S » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:27 pm

Thank you so much for the advice. I will certainly look at what you suggested! One of the things that really stood out to my oldest son was the advanced Physical Science kit!

We are excited about HOD and pray it will be a good fit for our family. I also have another son who will be 9 next year and am seriously considering Preparing Hearts for him. There is a lot to think about!

I will say that I have been so impressed with Heart of Dakota! It is so obvious how much thought and prayer has gone into each year of curriculum (and even each blog post). Thank you for doing all the hard work of selecting quality books and activities for families like us to enjoy!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:25 pm

Jenny,

I appreciate your response! We pray HOD is a blessing to your family. I know it has been an enjoyable journey for us as we homeschool. :D

Blessings,
Carrie