Talk to me about foreign language in the lower levels

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mtmom9107

Talk to me about foreign language in the lower levels

Post by mtmom9107 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:22 pm

We did Song School Latin 1 and now part way through Song School Latin 2 with my oldest who is 9 1/2. We love it, it's a lot of fun and I know that kids learn foreign languages so good at a young age. But the reason for my questioning my decision for adding a foreign language is because it's so so hard to get all our school done in a day and by the time we finish Bigger Hearts it will have taken 1 1/2 years. :shock: We are following the guide for Bigger with the exception that we do CLE Math instead of Singapore. :oops: I'm debating dropping a foreign language, or at least finishing SSL2 and then not moving on to the next level. Also, to not put my 2nd dd in SSL1 next year either.
Wondering the reason that HOD would give or has for not including or giving the option of doing foreign language till the later years.

StephanieU

Re: Talk to me about foreign language in the lower levels

Post by StephanieU » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:31 pm

This post explains why it isn't included in HOD before high school:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2556&p=19056&hilit= ... age#p19056

I added Duolingo Spanish to my oldest's day when she was near the end of Bigger. I think it is a great time to learn vocabulary, but some of the Spanish grammar I think would go over her head. So a program like Duolingo is great for her at this point. I have it set to the least amount of time per day, and she can do extra. So, it only takes 5-10 minutes, and it is complete independent (I have it on her Kindle Fire).
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

mtmom9107

Re: Talk to me about foreign language in the lower levels

Post by mtmom9107 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:41 pm

I like the duolingo idea. I already have that app on my kindle. Thank you for the link. I figured there was something, somewhere about this. Just couldn't find it. ;)