Placement help (7th grader for fall)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Chavisgirl

Placement help (7th grader for fall)

Post by Chavisgirl » Wed May 16, 2018 7:39 pm

My son has completed all HOD curriculums from Little Hearts through Preparing. He completed Preparing as a 4th grader. The following year he went to a small private Christian school (for numerous reasons) and returned back home for 6th and it has been great PTL. We did not jump into CTC bc of a new baby that came in December and 3 other children in 2 other HOD manuals (LHFHG & BHFHG) and we really wanted to concentrate on the 3 R’s bc that’s where he has greatly struggled. By doing that he has made huge improvements in reading, writing and spelling... and math is still a work in progress.
So my question is should I start him in CTC in the Fall or jump CTC and move right into RTR?? He is devouring books and is not complaining about his writing assignments he has had this year which is a new thing. I know this can change, but I feel from what I’ve read that the reading and writing are the main things bulked up in RTR, but I’m wondering if I’m missing something?? It does take a long time for his Math so I don’t want to burn him out. I’m also thinking about where he will be manual wise when he gets to high school (if we do CTC) bc I don’t want him to not end up getting the high school credits he needs. Thanks for any feedback and wisdom you can provide.

Chavisgirl

manyblessings

Re: Placement help (7th grader for fall)

Post by manyblessings » Thu May 17, 2018 1:28 am

Based on what you are saying, I think RTR is a good starting point, as he would be at the top of the age range for it. He would do Rev to Rev in 8th, and he would hit MTMM in grade 9, which looks like it would not be hard to adjust for high school credit if you find it necessary. After that he would do the first three high school guides for 10th, 11th, and 12th. As far as math, if you are planning on using Singapore, have him take the placement test if available to ensure that he is working at the appropriate level so that he avoids burnout.
Lourdes
Happily married since 2009
Mom of 4 adults and 1 homeschooler
Used Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RevtoRev

Chavisgirl

Re: Placement help (7th grader for fall)

Post by Chavisgirl » Thu May 17, 2018 7:30 am

Thank you Many Blessings! Very helpful feedback! Am I correct on the main differences between CTC and RTR? Is there a lot more reading than in CTC?