times for the high school boxes

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sinceLHFHG

times for the high school boxes

Post by sinceLHFHG » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:39 am

My oldest did World Geography and her days were long. I am curious how long it takes to do the World History, US History 1, and US History 2. Could someone please link me to the times assigned to the boxes for these guides?

Thanks!

StephanieU

Re: times for the high school boxes

Post by StephanieU » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:18 am

This post has information on times for each guide:
https://www.heartofdakota.com/blog/2018 ... should-be/
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

my3sons

Re: times for the high school boxes

Post by my3sons » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:51 am

I think it takes kiddos a bit to get into their groove with high school. We found once our sons made it through WG, the next years were smooth transitions. We also found the 4 day a week schedule to be a wonderful thing, as our sons can/could work to earn money for college on their days off, as well as have free time to explore interests. Having a 4 day a week did mean that if they were earning 6 1/2 credits, it would take about 6 1/2 hours to complete the work in 4 days. It really helped our sons to look at them individually and consider what schedule worked best for each of them. My oldest is a morning person, so his favorite thing to do is get up at 6 AM to a quiet house and do independent high school work prior to breakfast/chores. He also has always loved to read before going to bed at night, so he read his Living Library and did that follow-up before bed each night. My middle son is a night owl, so he loves to do an hour or more of independent work at night before bed. We do require that he does 'tomorrow's' work. We don't let him save today's work for night, or sometimes things come up and he doesn't get it done. If he didn't get his night work done, he just knows his day will go further into the afternoon. He also got up around 7 AM, even though he's not so much a morning person, because he decided it was worth it to be finished with school by lunch or shortly after. Spreading school out like this and having specific meeting times where I corrected work and did my teaching with each of them really helped the day be balanced. We are looking forward to doing WH this year with my 10th grader, and my oldest just finished USII and is on to earning a business degree. Every year brings new stages in life, and they are sometimes a little scary, but overall pretty exciting! Hope something here helps as you look forward to your year with HOD high school!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie