Just starting

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Khendricks

Just starting

Post by Khendricks » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:28 am

We are planning on starting homeschooling our two boys this coming August. We will have a 5 year old who is currently enrolled in a public school preschool, and a 6 year old who is finishing up his Kindergarten year right now. We are planning on doing Little Hearts for His Glory with both of them - the youngest doing the K curriculum and the oldest doing the 1st grade curriculum.
I have 2 questions:
What benefits do you get from the CD that goes with The Reading Lesson?
Would it be reasonable to purchase the Emerging Reader's Set from Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory to use if our oldest needs them? He is already reading some and we want to be sure to encourage his growth to continue! Thanks!

Kim

StephanieU

Re: Just starting

Post by StephanieU » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:02 am

My oldest started the ER books half way through LHFHG. Although I thought she might have been ready earlier, the bills pick up speed quickly! They start at a second grade reading level and pages to an early third grade reading level. So they're is no harm in buying them early, but be warned that they aren't the easiest of reads. The Early Readers Bible had the comprehension questions in it. But the rest of the books' comprehension questions are in the Beyond guide (and Bigger guide identical information in both).
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

my3sons

Re: Just starting

Post by my3sons » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:56 am

The CD for TRL includes extra practice with additional words. It is motivational, and it is one of the only things that little ones can do fairly independently. I think it is a nice component to this phonics program. As far as the ERS, we did get the Beyond guide and use it with LHFHG as our core guide for my oldest son, who was a strong reader early on. It worked great! We did get both Bibles and started with easier of the two, the Early Reader's Bible. This added 9 weeks to the year, and it was a great way to expand the ERS so we didn't get into the harder levels of it too soon. There are supplemental titles suggested that you can get through your library as well. We sometimes added these if my kiddos needed to stay at an easier level a little longer. I used Carrie's excellent questions as a springboard to ask my own similar questions for the supplemental titles, so I wasn't skipping the comprehension part. HTH!

In Christ,
Julie

P.S. Thought I'd mention HOD will credit back your Beyond package savings when you order the rest of the Beyond Econ. package the following year as your core guide.
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie