skipping from WG to US1 ?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
crlacey

skipping from WG to US1 ?

Post by crlacey » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:38 pm

I have a daughter who is doing really well in her studies and is wanting to skip into the US 1 history guide next year. She would prefer to study the topics that are covered in that guide. She has come up through using all the HOD guides, so is there any reason she couldn't skip from WG to US1?
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: skipping from WG to US1 ?

Post by Carrie » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:30 pm

Crystal,

There is a pretty big jump between World Geography and US1. The literature in WH is a big jump up from the literature in World Geography! It is designed as a stair step to help students handle more difficult material at a larger volume and a more mature level. The length and level of the history readings are much more difficult in US1 too. :D

There are definitely stepping stones in the World History that I wouldn't want my boys to miss unless absolutely necessary. In fact, the literature in the World History guide is some of my all-time favorite lit! Plus, the World Geography guide is actually meant to set the stage for the study of World History that comes next. Studying US history after world history really helps students keep the world context in mind too, which is important as US history plays out with the world stage as its backdrop. :D

Blessings,
Carrie