Balancing Read Alouds

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
HawaiianMoon4

Balancing Read Alouds

Post by HawaiianMoon4 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:47 am

I had a question about the read alouds. They are one of my favorite parts of HOD! That being said, I am currently running three guides with one only being LHTH in which I don't really have a read aloud this year. Just doing the read alouds for Creation to Christ and Beyond is a bit of struggle to accomplish. I'm looking to next year when I'll have LHFHG, Bigger, Resurrection to Reformation and a toddler running around. How do you keep up with three read alouds? My children love them, but I am wondering where we will find time in our day.
Wife to Jordan 13 years

Mom to:
DS (12.5) - Res2Ref
DD (9) - Bigger
DS (7) - LHFHG
DS (4) - tagging along with some LHTH

Larica

Re: Balancing Read Alouds

Post by Larica » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:12 pm

Usually I read one or two kids' stories in the morning during their school time. Sometimes I read another one over lunch. Often I read several after lunch while the kids are folding laundry. Yes, I sit and read while they fold it all!! When time is really tight I might read one at bedtime. I currently have 4 kids in guides that require read-alouds. Next year it will be 5. It is one of my favorite parts of our day too! :D
Erica
mom to 5, ages 7 to 15
Enjoyed LHTH to WH so far!

HawaiianMoon4

Post by HawaiianMoon4 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:38 pm

Thank you! Those are good ideas! And I just saw tonight that in Resurrection to Reformation, my son can read his read alouds himself which would bring it back down to two a day. I'm not sure if I like that idea completely as I love to read to them, but it might just be a necessity next year. And there's no judgement from me on making the kids fold the laundry! We all have to work together to keep a house running (especially with homeschooling) and it is a vital life lesson for our children. :) I think it is wonderful! I'm so impressed with all the levels you are balancing!
Wife to Jordan 13 years

Mom to:
DS (12.5) - Res2Ref
DD (9) - Bigger
DS (7) - LHFHG
DS (4) - tagging along with some LHTH

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:39 am

One thing I do in Bigger and Beyond especially is look for the audio books for storytime. Our library has many of them, and others I have been able to pick up on Audible inexpensively. With Google expanding to audiobooks, I might get some there as well (we do Google Rewards, so I have money available there to spend). I can play the audio while I cook dinner, snuggle the toddler, etc that way.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)