Which curriculum for my 8yo 3rd grader?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
yiyispartucus

Which curriculum for my 8yo 3rd grader?

Post by yiyispartucus » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:46 pm

I am switching to HOD (very likely). My daughter is starting 3rd and turned 8 in July. She did MFW for K and 1st, and BJU for 2nd. I also have a 5 year old starting K this year. We already have the MFW K so we are using that for her. Should I get preparing hearts or bigger hearts for my older one? I am anxious to get started as it's going to be November tomorrow :oops: . We've taken a winding path in homeschooling and I am hoping in the Lord to take us to smoother sailing. The issue is not the kids, but me, just to be clear. They are fantastic and love school. Thanks, any help appreciated!

StephanieU

Re: Which curriculum for my 8yo 3rd grader?

Post by StephanieU » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:11 pm

Have you looked at the placement chart and first weeks of the two guides?
The big difference between Bigger and Preparing are that they start doing things independently, which includes reading their own science and some of their own history. Most used Bigger for 3rd grade. So I would lean that way. But definitely check the placement chart and the first weeks!
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

homemommy83

Post by homemommy83 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:59 pm

I would say from knowing what you used in the past that Bigger would be the better placement for sure. Hope that you have a great year.

P.S. I start different programs throughout the year all of the time, it adds a little spice during the year. It is always fun to open a new box in December or February-lol.

Brenda

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:00 am

I would also recommend Bigger. But can your child read well and do they like to write? If they are really good at reading and writing, then Preparing might be a better fit. Preparing is a bit more independent than Bigger is. And all kids are different. My girls have done their levels on the lowest end of the age range and my son did his at the top of the age range. He wasn't ready for the independence of reading and writing nearly as early.

The placement chart is the place to check first though. Each level of HOD is based on how they "place" And that is good news too. That means that you can pick the level they will thrive at most. Hope you have a great year though. We came from MFW and love HOD. Loved MFW too when we did the lower levels but HOD is much better fit for us.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:50 pm

HI there! I think you are going to love HOD, and I'm excited for you to begin! Proper placement just makes for the best year ever, so I'm glad you are asking for help here! A lot of 8 year olds, as the ladies wisely shared here already, are using Bigger Hearts for His Glory, and based on what you've shared so far, that could be a super placement! But, just to double-check, as a newly turned 8 yo and a soon to be 9 yo, can make a difference in placement, please print the placement chart from the following link, and with just your 8 yo in mind, circle where he/she falls individually in each column. The first page is the most important (as it considers age, reading, writing, grammar, and math), so the first page should be weighed the heaviest in placement decisions...
https://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

Also, this link compares the amount of writing in Bigger Hearts... and Preparing Hearts... As fine motor skills for 8 yo students can vary widely, this may help in your decision as well...
Amount of writing in Bigger vs. PHFHG:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3602

Here are links with the suggested time allotments for BHFHG and PHFHG, so you can see how the day is broken up, in case that helps...
BHFHG time it takes:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=702
PHFHG time it takes:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4244&p=31219#p31219

Finally, here are links to print the first week and introduction of each of these guides. Keep in mind, as was already shared by the other ladies, there is more independent work in PHFHG. You will see letters in the top right hand corners of the boxes of plans in the PHFHG guide. "T" = teacher- directed, "S" = semi-independent, "I" = independent. If you find yourself reading the "I" boxes and thinking your 8 yo could not follow the plans independently with a month or two of training on your part, Bigger Hearts would be the better placement...
Bigger Hearts... First Week of Plans and Introduction:
https://www.heartofdakota.com/pdf/BHFHG-first-week.pdf
https://www.heartofdakota.com/pdf/BHFHG ... -07-11.pdf

Preparing Hearts... First Week of Plans and Introduction:
https://www.heartofdakota.com/pdf/PHFHG-sample-week.pdf
https://www.heartofdakota.com/pdf/PHFHG-intro.pdf

If you have further questions, ask away! Hope this helps! We have used HOD from PreK through 12th (doing 12th with our oldest now) - what a blessing! I'm excited for you to begin your HOD journey, and we are here to help!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

scrapper4life

Post by scrapper4life » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:47 pm

I'm just wondering what the original poster chose and how it's going. I hope you are all adjusting well. I've been making a transition from full BJU curriculum to HOD. This year we are about half and half and next year I hope to be almost all HOD. Wondering how it is going for you all.