Science question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Nealewill

Re: Science question

Post by Nealewill » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:56 pm

I don't quite remember how long our days were but I do remember that they days that took some time were the days that my kids built the different machines (7 machines in total). There were several days where they would read through about 5 slides and then do 1 or two experiments. At the end of each unit, they completed a vocab quiz and a multiple choice quiz. Most days took less than 30 minutes to complete, I would estimate around 15-30 minutes per lesson (probably closer to the 15 minute mark) and then closer to 30-45 minutes on the build days. But again, there were only a handful of build days. We actually ended up doing the intermediate level at our co-op that year so oldest and middle child would do most of the lessons at home and then go over what they learned at co-op. They loved it.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

my3sons

Re: Science question

Post by my3sons » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:13 am

my3sons wrote:...To clarify, the sequence Carrie has written for the science is the preferred sequence. :D So, between the 2 choices being discussed here, for 8th grade, doing physical science with Exploration Education would first be recommended. For 9th grade, doing IPC would be recommended...
Hi ladies! I realized I should add to my post to mention that the reason only RevtoRev's science choice and WG's science choice was discussed was due to the original question about choosing between these two options. So, to 'clarify' the clarification :D for others reading this, doing the science sequence as it is written in HOD, including MTMM's science within the sequence, would be the intended path for students to take... :D

RevtoRev...
Physical Science Focus

Daily independent readings, experiments, and activities in the area of physical science, combine living books about inventors with Education Exploration's lab-driven science course. Students build real-life projects to experiment with force, electricity, energy, current, motion, properties and changes in matter, speed, velocity, pressure, density, buoyancy, magnetism and electromagnets, motors, generators, circuitry, physical and chemical reactions, transfer of energy, sound, optics, light, and more.

MTMM...
Introduction to Chemisty & Creation vs. Evolution Focus:

Daily independent readings about chemistry, 20th century scientists, and creation vs.evolution are combined with experiments and activities in the areas of chemistry, genetics, & DNA. Students experiment with reactions between solids, liquids, and gases; effects of acids and bases: electrochemical reactions with metals and salts; isolating DNA from a tomato; investigating inheritance and how traits are passed down; showing dominant and recessive genes through game play; learning the components of cells; building a model of the double-stranded helical structure of DNA; finding out how nucleotides fit together; analyzing DNA evidence; breeding a bacteria colony; discovering how mutation affects genes; and much more!

WG...
Integrated Physics & Chemistry with Lab Focus
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12932

We have completed the science as planned from year to year and found it to be excellent! I hope you enjoy it as well!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie