Is DITHOR a read aloud?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MichelleIndy

Is DITHOR a read aloud?

Post by MichelleIndy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:31 pm

Hello,
My son is starting up Bigger next week. We are finishing up Beyond this week. What a treat this program is! I have seen so much growth in my son and am thrilled we chose HOD! My main question with Bigger is when he starts Drawn into the Heart of Reading, is he supposed to read the material aloud to me or is it something he reads quietly and then does the activity with me? I ask this because my son is an amazing reader in that he reads through books on his own so quickly. But this past year the read alouds were hard much of the time because my son has Tourettes syndrome and has verbal tics the entire time. So what would take him only a few minutes if he read silently can turn into 15 minutes of hard tics and hard to understand words. I have pushed him through this year and it is a special cuddle time for us and he has loved the stories. I also push him to try because I know that for him it is a life skill he must master and practice with me is safe and without giggles or shame. I just want to know how to direct him well as we start Bigger next week and wasn't sure if there was a "rule" or expectation for that section. Thank you!!!
Michelle
Mom to JJ (almost 8)
Luke (almost 6 and using Little Hearts)
Isaac (4...preschool)
Josiah (2)

daybreaking

Re: Is DITHOR a read aloud?

Post by daybreaking » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:43 pm

The lessons have the student doing both reading to himself and reading to you. If it is helpful, you can take a look at the first week of lesson plans at https://www.heartofdakota.com/pdf/d1.pdf, to see how the reading is broken down day by day. I'm sure you can modify to fit your son's needs without taking from the program. For instance, if the plans call for him to read some independently, leaving 4-5 pages to read to you, you could just have him save 1 page or whatever you think he can handle.

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd16

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:01 pm

Great thoughts by daybreaking already! With my oldest son (who was an excellent reader and comprehended well early on), I just had him read 1-2 pages aloud to me each day. using the "Qualities of Good Reading" list to improve his oral reading skills. This way he was still practicing and strengthening his oral reading skills, but we were recognizing that he had improved his independent reading skills enough to read more of it on his own. I just skimmed his book after listening to him read (usually a page at the beginning, a page in the middle, and a page at the end), as this was a quick way for me to know what was happening in the book. The readings are short, so this was easy to do! I'm so glad to hear you and your son enjoyed Beyond... - I'm sure you will enjoy Bigger Hearts... as well!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

MichelleIndy

Post by MichelleIndy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:58 pm

Thank you kindly for responding! We are a week in and LOVE both Bigger and Drawn into the Heart of Reading. He is excelling in ways I never expected! If the assignment is to read outloud for that day I usually let him choose the pages and practice first by himself and when he is ready he come to me. So far no tears! We started with humor and he is enjoying Capyboppy too! I am just truly blown away by how he has jumped into Bigger and is learning SO much! Thank you HOD for easing us in and giving my son a true taste of learning that entices him to want to know more.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:55 pm

This is so great to hear! Keep up the good work homeschooling your family with HOD! Many happy days are ahead for you. HOD has been a blessing these many years we have used it, and getting ready to graduate my oldest, I sometimes wonder where the time went?!? I never wonder if the time was worth it though. God bless you in your HOD homeschool journey!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie