Choosing a Book Pack

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
HSMom03

Choosing a Book Pack

Post by HSMom03 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:45 pm

How do I choose a book pack for my son? I have no idea. He's in 4th grade, turns 10 in November. He's old enough for 5th grade but just barely. He reads really well, but I don't know which grade level he reads at. I'm toying with the idea of having him read the level 2 books because he has never read those books and I don't want him to miss any good books but that might not be placing him correctly. Level 2 might be too easy/low for him. So how do I know which level is right for him?

StephanieU

Re: Choosing a Book Pack

Post by StephanieU » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:29 pm

What are some books he reads comfortably now? What guide is he using?
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

HSMom03

Post by HSMom03 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:44 pm

He's not using an HOD guide right now but we're dying to come back! We just need a reading program. I guess I would say that he places in Preparing.

HSMom03

Post by HSMom03 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:49 pm

He reads the Adventure Bible (NIV). It's for 8-12 years, grades 3-7.
https://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Bible- ... ture+bible

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:26 pm

I would go with 3 or 4/5 probably then. I would look up a few sample pages (Google, Amazon, etc), and see if they seem like books he would be able to read fluently.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

HSMom03

Post by HSMom03 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:34 pm

Thanks!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:53 pm

Hi! The reading level range is noted at the top of the columns of each of the book packs on the website. In general, it's best to choose a book set that is not at a 'challenge' level of reading but rather at a 'comfort' level of reading for the student; DITHOR provides the challenge. So, for the Level 3 Book Pack, the reading level is from 3.5 to 5.1; which is third grade, fifth month through fifth grade, first month...
https://www.heartofdakota.com/drawn-into-optional.php

For the 4/5 Boy Interest, the reading level range is from 4.0 to 5.7...
https://www.heartofdakota.com/drawn-int ... nal4-5.php

The Level 3 Book Pack, in general, will have more pictures, a larger font size, and shorter readings each day than the 4/5 Book Pack. Another thing to consider is the pacing you'll be using. If you are doing PHFHG on up within HOD for core guides, DITHOR will be scheduled 3 times a week. At this pace, the DITHOR Book Packs will last 2 years, as will the DITHOR Student Books. So, you can choose the book set based on a 2 year pacing, if that helps. Sometimes our sons have had a significant growth in their reading from year to year (hooray!), and if that is the case and we still have half of a younger DITHOR book pack left, I just let them leisurely read the last half for fun in the summer (I like them reading quality books in the summer anyway), and I move them up to the next DITHOR Book Pack level for the school year. Carrie has chosen awesome books for DITHOR, so really, all of the book packs include fantastic books, it's just a matter of appropriate reading levels and of desired pacing.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie