Placement - bigger vs preparing?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Themooreheads

Placement - bigger vs preparing?

Post by Themooreheads » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:15 pm

My 8 year old is third grade. We didn't do HOD last year so I decided to put her in Bigger (the one she didn't do last year)so that she wouldn't miss American History and also because it seemed like there would be significantly more writing in Preparing, which is challenging for her. We are doing Singapore 3AB, DITHOR, dictation rather than spelling. I'm finding the English a bit easy for her (this is our first week). I am rethinking my decision to put her in Bigger rather than Preparing. Can I do English 3 or should I just move her to preparing since we are essentially trying to make Bigger more challenging while covering American History?

StephanieU

Re: Placement - bigger vs preparing?

Post by StephanieU » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:41 pm

Don't slip ahead in Roof and Staff! Level 2 is fairly easy. Level 3 isn't hard. But Level 4? That is middle school level! It includes diagramming prepositional phrases, etc - things I learned in honors 7th grade English in the late 80s/ early 90s. My daughter made it through Level 4 last year for 4th grade, but it wasn't worth the struggle! I wish I hadn't pushed her ahead in Rod and Staff. Doing Level 4 over 5th and 6th grade like Carrie has planned (and then level 5 in 7th, Level 6 in 8th, Level 7 for 9th and 10th, and Level 8 to finish out high school) would have been better. It is my plan for my other kids!
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Rice

Post by Rice » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:52 pm

I agree with Stephanie. Enjoy easy for a while. :) Nothing wrong with review and having one subject be easier, laying a great foundation for something that ramps up quickly. Much better to enjoy it (freebie!) than to get to a point where it's too hard and is a frustration later on. HOD's goal is to finish R&S 6 in 8th grade. If you count backwards from that (with or without taking 2 years for Level 4), then you'll be on track or even ahead a year if you do Level 2 for 3rd.

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:12 pm

I also wouldn't necessarily worry about putting her in level 3. Like the other ladies mentioned, level 3 isn't hard. But level 4 is a jump and level 5 is even more so. In addition, the higher up in level you go the more writing assignments they have. I would just use level 2 this year since it goes nicely with Bigger. Your dd is well placed in that level and she will finish all the grammar on time anyway.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Themooreheads

Post by Themooreheads » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:14 pm

Thank you for your advice, it is very much appreciated!!!