Dictionary recommendations? (PHFHG)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
catbeth

Dictionary recommendations? (PHFHG)

Post by catbeth » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:28 am

Our collegiate dictionary is a little too much for my kids to use efficiently during vocabulary study. Can anyone recommend a dictionary you have used with your kids during Preparing that is more kid-friendly but still actually has the words we need?
Mom to:
DD 12
DD 9 and DS 8: PHFHG

Rice

Re: Dictionary recommendations? (PHFHG)

Post by Rice » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:51 am

The American Heritage Student Dictionary has all but about 2 of the words from the Vocabulary section in Preparing! :)

I can't figure out how to attach a picture here, but here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/American-Heritag ... n+Heritage

It's working well for my 9yo in Bigger (it has all but about 4 of the Bigger words, too!).

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:50 am

The other one I would recommend is the Merriam Webster Elementary dictionary. It is missing 11 of the words for the year (out of 175). It has slightly larger font and "simpler" definitions. If your child is well placed in Preparing, I would go with the one Larissa suggested. If you are looking for a dictionary starting in Bigger or for a child with reading or visit struggles, I would do with Merriam Webster.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Robbi

Post by Robbi » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:06 am

We have the Merriam Webster Children's Dictionary and it worked well for Bigger & Preparing. It had most of the vocab words. For several months prior to purchasing we checked dictionaries out of our library. There were 3 we could check out and a couple that were reference books that had to stay in the library.
Robbi
DD 19 Graduated from HOD
DS 15 USI & II combo
DS 10 RTR
DS 8 Preparing
We have now used all the guides!