grammar

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
snadig

grammar

Post by snadig » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:34 pm

Hello ladies,

I am just looking for feed back regarding grammar. I have used Rod and Staff loosely. My kids don't like it and I haven't gone much past book 6. I tried book 7 but we only did half of it. I like most of it but it is also my weak area. I was considering Easy grammar. Any thoughts? I also have two who hate writing and struggle with it a bit.

Any advice would be really helpful!

Happy Tuesday!
Stacey
Stacey in Co

Married 21years to my best friend
my wonderful kids:
19-dd-College student Aug 18
17-dd-US 1 Histroy -Aug 18
13-ds-MTMM - Aug 18
Finished:Beyond,Bigger,Preparing,RtoR,RevtoRev,CtC,MtMM,WH,AH1,AH2

snadig

Re: grammar

Post by snadig » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:25 pm

Hi Ladies.

Thank you to those who sent me a p.m. I have decided to stay with Rod and Staff. I know how to use it and think it is just as good or better than other english grammar books out there.

Thank you.
Stacey in Co

my wonderful kids:
13-ds-MTMM - Aug 18

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:16 am

Glad you've come to a good decision on grammar. :) You can't go wrong with R&S as it's solid and has everything you need. Hope you have a great year!! ;)
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

snadig

Post by snadig » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:54 pm

Thanks. I hope you have a great year as well.

It is always hard to get back in the swing of things when you take a long break. I do think Rod and Staff is really good but can make my head spin at times. My middle daughter looked at something else and said, "mom this is ok but it doesn't give you enough information or help to understand what you are learning." I thought that was something coming from someone who hates to write and do grammar. She finished book 6 and I didn't make her do book 7 so we could focus more on writing and math (her weaknesses). She isn't a fan of school..........so we adjust to work on things that she needs more help with.

Stacey
Stacey in Co

my wonderful kids:
13-ds-MTMM - Aug 18

snadig

Post by snadig » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:50 pm

I just wanted to post a follow up.

I ordered the worksheets/tests (book 6) to add in where my son might need practice. I think this will be a good fit and he won't have to copy a lot as we do most of the Rod and Staff lessons out loud.

Happy schooling!
Stacey
Stacey in Co

my wonderful kids:
13-ds-MTMM - Aug 18

snadig

Post by snadig » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:22 pm

Hi Ladies,

Just another follow up.

I was thinking about grammar today and seeing how things have gone with adding in the worksheets/tests. It sure has made grammar go really smoothly this first 9 weeks. Of course it is my third time through Rod and staff book 6, that might have something to do with it. :lol: Anyways, if you have one who isn't a fan of extra copying, then the worksheets help. Some lessons don't have worksheets and you just decide what you need to have them do on those lessons. For Chapter reviews I give him the Tests for the Chapter and let him use his book. This way he can learn how to find an answer instead of trying to have it all memorized. A plus is they are pretty inexpensive and they allow duplicating.

blessings on your day!
Stacey
Stacey in Co

my wonderful kids:
13-ds-MTMM - Aug 18