Road Trip

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MomtoJGJE

Road Trip

Post by MomtoJGJE » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:44 pm

We are taking a road trip next week (Saturday evening through the week until the next Sunday) up the east coast (we are in NC). What are some places that would be interesting/important to hit that they learn about in HOD... mainly the younger guides. Evie is doing Beyond now, so I thought mainly things in Beyond and Bigger would be really good to go to, but I didn't want to have to go through the guide day by day to find them :shock:

So far in my remembering I have (not in any order):

Plymouth (Evie wants to see Plymouth Rock)
Boston
Philadelphia
NYC (Evie wants to see Wall Street, where the wall was in New Amsterdam)
DC

Anywhere else? We aren't staying in any one place for longer than a day, so we are just hitting key places.

daybreaking

Re: Road Trip

Post by daybreaking » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:45 pm

Around the time we were finishing up Bigger Hearts, some of the places we visited were Monticello, James Madison's Montpelier, Mount Vernon, Appomattax, Gettysburg, Lee's Chapel, Stonewall Jackson's House (and more places that I can't remember right now) and found them all to be perfect places to reinforce what my son had been learning. We loved Philadelphia, as well, and just happened to be there on July 8 when they were doing a reenactment of the reading of the Declaration of Independence! :D

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd16

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:20 pm

Mt. Vernon is one I want to see one day. I also want to go to Colonial Williamsburg or a similar historical live action location.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

marybeth33

Post by marybeth33 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:15 pm

Jamestown :-)

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:38 am

We will take a weekend trip sometime to do Jamestown/Williamsburg/Yorktown. We are only a few hours away from there. But we don't want to do that when it is so hot because we have a couple of kids who really struggle with heat. That'll be a fall/spring activity. We've done it once with the older three, but they could see it again.

Thanks for the ideas!

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:43 am

Just to update, we had a great time!

We went through DC, to Baltimore, up to Philedelphia (and Valley Forge), over to Atlantic City, through (literally just drove through) Trenton on the way to a cousins house for lunch, up to NYC (stayed in Brooklyn), up through Connecticut and RI to Boston, then up the coast to Portland. From there we drove across NY state and went into Canada at Niagara Falls. We drove up to see Lake Ontario, and then on the way down to Pittsburgh we saw Lake Erie. Then we got up insanely early (left the hotel at about 5am) to drive from Pittsburgh to home in time to see the eclipse.

I was worried about how everyone would do, especially Penelope since we don't do a stroller any more, with all the walking on the way up the coast and then all the riding on the way back around and down. But when we were about an hour away from home Penelope said "We need to do this again! I don't want to go home! I want to keep doing the road trip! Or another road trip!" Each day or so I had them write in a journal (composition notebook) the different things we saw. They kept wanting to keep notes on everything, but I wanted it to be things that stuck out to them, not a detailed notebook with everything we had seen or whatever. I have everyone's names on them and had one for me and DH as well. I put them up and we will add in them for our trips each year! Penelope drew pictures which I labeled, and Evie did a mix of pictures and words. So it will be fun to see how they grow and change over the next few years.