Phonics recommendation?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jackor

Phonics recommendation?

Post by jackor » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:00 pm

I am new to HOD and am so excited to be getting started! I feel quite confident this curriculum will be a good match for my son. But I'm unsure what I should do with him as far as language arts/grammar/spelling. He is 6 and a very avid reader. I would say he is a speed-reader with excellent comprehension and vocabulary (ie: enjoys reading Little House books and high school level historical biographies). I've started him in grade 2 spelling and he's comfortable with it, though he hates writing. I would like to find a grammar and LA program that teaches the basics without being too simplistic, and yet won't require a lot of writing. He found the phonics I've tried with him (K and 1st grade levels) to be boring and he became restless and rather uncooperative every time we pulled it out (not sure if that was because it was too easy or because he had to do some writing). I'm wondering if you have a recommendation for me.

Thank you and I'm so happy to be starting HOD!!

Becca

StephanieU

Re: Phonics recommendation?

Post by StephanieU » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:07 pm

What guide do you plan on using?
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

jackor

Post by jackor » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:16 am

Sorry I didn't include that. We'll be doing Beyond this year. I also have a 4-y-o that I'm planning to include (at her level) for all except math and LA. It's amazing how different my kids are. My son was reading fluently by 4 and my daughter is still just learning letter sounds. She enjoys sitting down and coloring or doing worksheets, while my son hates those things. He's definitely an auditory learner, while she definitely is not. One thing I love about homeschooling is how I can cater the program to their unique learning styles!

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:56 am

The Beyond give includes weekly grammar lessons, spelling, and a reading comprehension program called the Emerging Readers (you would need the books though). The ER books might be very simple for him in terms of reading, but the questions aren't always basic comprehension. So it might be good to do even if he is an advanced reader.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

jackor

Post by jackor » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:16 am

Thank you. I will look further into the ER books. I was thinking that may be too easy so I dismissed it, but perhaps I shouldn't have. Thank you for your input!

Rice

Post by Rice » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:03 am

I agree with taking another look at the ERs. However, if he's reading that high, he may find them very simple. If so, I would recommend the DITHOR Level 2 package but I would require oral narrations after every chapter/day's reading (and suggest doing some research, beyond the list Carrie provides in the guide, about what narration is all about, how it helps with comprehension, thinking skills, etc.).

Once he's done the spelling you have for him (whether that's what you've already started, or the spelling within the guide), you could start Dictation with him, if his spelling is as advanced as his reading. You will need the Bigger guide for that, or a copy of the dictation passages (Carrie used a book that is in the public domain, so there are files available online.) The wonderful thing about HOD's customer service is that if you purchase the Bigger guide (now or at some point in the year to come) from them, then when you purchase the rest of the books for next year, they will honor their package pricing! :)

Otherwise, for LA, I don't suggest adding anything more (like daily grammar) at his age. Reading early is not necessarily a sign that they will continue to be ahead of peers by middle school, and you don't want to overload him for the long haul. Let him be a kid, while also challenging him academically (as I believe Beyond will, for a 6yo).

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

jackor

Post by jackor » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:50 pm

Thank you. Good advice. Much appreciated!

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:06 pm

The other thing you can do is separate school and reading. What I mean is that you can still do the ERs even though he's well above that level of reading because it teaches them how to think through the book, not just comprehension. That can be part of school. Then once you are done with school for the day, he can read the higher level books for fun.

I also wouldn't add anything to Beyond at his age. Short and sweet gives them the chance to really absorb what they are learning.

The only thing I might do, since he can read so well, is maybe have books based on what you are learning available for him to read in his free time. Even if they are picture books. I was reading very well very early. And I still enjoyed taking a bunch of my picture books and reading them. It's a completely different type of reading between reading a picture book or easy reader straight through in just a couple of minutes and reading a harder book over a day or two or more.

jackor

Post by jackor » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:21 pm

Thank you!!