First Year Homeschooling

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
kateshipman

First Year Homeschooling

Post by kateshipman » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:02 pm

We are about to embark on our first year of homeschooling. My oldest daughter will be beginning kindergarten. She is 5 1/2 years with a birthday in February. I also have 2 other girls, one will be 4 in September, and the other 2 in November. I know that my oldest daughter, Brighton, is very ready for a kindergarten curriculum, but I am also convinced that my 4 year old will really benefit from being included in the home school structure. Because of this, I'm torn between starting with Little Hearts for His Glory, for my 5.5 year old, or sticking with Little Hands to Heaven, so that my 4 year old is more included. Will little Hands to Heaven be challenging for my 5.5 year old? Or would it be better to choose Little Hearts for His Glory and try to simplify some things to include my 4 year old? This is my first year and I really feel clueless, so any help or advise would be so appreciated!

countrymom

Re: First Year Homeschooling

Post by countrymom » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:28 pm

I would not combine them in Little Hearts because the next year you would have a young 5 yr old in Beyond, which is not advisable at all. Given your middle won't be 4 until September, and therefore a very young 5 next year, I would do Little Hands to Heaven with her at 1/2 speed and stretch it out two years. That would be very manageable while doing Little Hearts with your older. It makes for a good spacing of the guides too. As you stretch Little Hands out over two years you can always add some (such as phonics) the 2nd year as she is ready.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

kateshipman

Post by kateshipman » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:34 am

So do you suggest I purchase both curriculum sets?

christina32344

Post by christina32344 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:18 am

Yes I would purchase both curriculums.
Christina
LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG,PHFHG, now CTC- daughter age 11
LHTH-son age 3