AAR Level Needed to Complete for the Emergent Readers?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
HawaiianMoon4

AAR Level Needed to Complete for the Emergent Readers?

Post by HawaiianMoon4 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:50 pm

Forgive me if I'm not allowed to ask this on this board as it does reference another reading curriculum than the one scheduled in HOD, but I was hoping someone might be able to assist me in knowing at which level of All About Reading my DD will be ready to read the Emergent Readers? Will she need to complete all the levels up thru level 4 to be ready for them? She is halfway through level 2 and we will be doing Beyond next year for 2nd grade since she's had trouble learning to read and spell. I suspect she might have some dyslexia or need visual therapy, but it's a challenge to know if she's just a late bloomer or if she needs more help. It's been a discouraging journey as it seems to hold her back from progressing in school. Her brother was reading chapter books in kindergarten, so it's hard not to compare and question if I could be helping her more. I'm trying to figure out when she might be ready for the Emergent Readers and DITHOR (which I own and am excited to use)! :) Thank you from a momma anxious to open up the world of reading to her daughter! :D
Wife to Jordan 13 years

Mom to:
DS (12.5) - Res2Ref
DD (9) - Bigger
DS (7) - LHFHG
DS (4) - tagging along with some LHTH

StephanieU

Re: AAR Level Needed to Complete for the Emergent Readers?

Post by StephanieU » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:17 pm

First, Beyond for second grade is NORMAL! Starting the emerging readers in Beyond or Bigger (between 2nd and 3rd grade) is NORMAL. The emerging readers are mostly second grade reading level. I have seen others say that by the end of AAR Level 2, they are ready for the ER books. But of course each child is different.

But I understand your concern. My first completed the ER books around her 7th birthday. Her brother is just starting them. So he is almost 2 years behind her in reading ability. I think first borns are often more verbal, simply because they have our undivided attention for a while. I find second borns to be more hands on and physical. I often try to compare my kids, but then I remember they are each different! My son is slowly getting the hang of reading fluently. but it has been VERY slow going and discouraging at times.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

HawaiianMoon4

Re: AAR Level Needed to Complete for the Emergent Readers?

Post by HawaiianMoon4 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:05 pm

Lol! Thank you! Some of my public school teacher friends are telling me my oldest child isn't a typical child in how quickly he picks things up. He didn't know any of his letters or letter sounds at the start of kindergarten, yet he completely finished "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons" by the end of kindergarten and was reading chapter books. He devours books! I remember having him read "A Door in the Wall" in second grade, and I couldn't understand why he didn't like it. I see that's listed as a read aloud in Preparing! :lol: "100 EASY Lessons" was a DISASTER with my second born and even AAR can feel like a challenge! It's hard to know what's "normal" when the first born is so advanced.

My second seems to just struggle more, but maybe she's just average? She struggles with her b's & d's, p's & q's. He never did. His handwriting has always looked perfect. She doesn't seem to recognize that there are lines on the paper. :wink: I've actually been considering starting her in Cheerfully Cursive with Beyond as she has a hunger to learn it and has been writing her name in cursive since I showed her how a few weeks ago. :)

I try not to compare them as they are beautifully different, but I also don't want to be blind to a learning disability that might need help. I know of a homeschooling momma who didn't get help for her dyslexic son, and he still couldn't read at a second grade level at 14. :( I don't want to ignore a problem. That being said, I do think my next two are more in the average range (or so I'm told). :) I just want to make sure I'm not giving my oldest more opportunities than the other three kids.

It gives me hope to think she might be able to start the Emerging Readers soonish. I think if she can read some "real" books that grab her interest, she might be more willing to try reading more. At the moment she says she's "just not a reader." :shock:
Wife to Jordan 13 years

Mom to:
DS (12.5) - Res2Ref
DD (9) - Bigger
DS (7) - LHFHG
DS (4) - tagging along with some LHTH