Pride and Prejudice gone from WG?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Nealewill

Re: Pride and Prejudice gone from WG?

Post by Nealewill » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:49 pm

I'm not sure what others will reply but maybe you could use Persuasion instead? It might take a bit of modifying but it might be fine too.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:51 am

Not to mention in US2 the DVD segments from Pride and Prejudice are scheduled to match daily, so watching what they are reading each day really adds a visual element to the book! Both my boys have loved doing Pride and Prejudice this way!! My oldest loved it so much that he is taking a Jane Austen class this year for college (even though he's already read all of Austen's books with the exception of Lady Susan). :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:00 pm

When I first posted the book selections for the literature portion of the US2 guide, I answered these same questions. So, I will repost my thoughts below for you to ponder. :)

My thoughts would be that classics such as Pride and Prejudice and A Christmas Carol bear re-reading. My own boys listen to a fully dramatized audio of A Christmas Carol every Christmas as they set up the Christmas tree. They never tire of it and look forward to hearing the story each Christmas no matter what their age! :D As far as Pride and Prejudice goes, there are entire book clubs devoted to being a fan of Jane Austen and a chronic reader of her works! Many in the clubs can recite her work verbatim from so many re-reads. :D

In looking at these books from a Heart of Dakota perspective, we originally scheduled A Christmas Carol in a DITHR book set that the students would have read 5 years ago, and we originally scheduled Pride and Prejudice as a girl option for the ladies to read three years ago. So, with years like that in between the readings, I would think there would be much to gain by a reread of such well-known classics as these. :D Additionally, reading the books along with the daily plans that we will have in U.S. History II will draw things out of the reading that the students may have missed even if they have read them before. :D

Of course, should you desire to replace the books with your own selections, you could easily do so. We definitely weighed the options when making book selections for British Literature and felt the balance of the selections that we ended up with was best for students overall. Books like A Christmas Carol and Pride and Prejudice are just too important as classic works to be missed. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:09 pm

We used MTMM for our sons, and now it is time for my first (of four) daughters to do it.
Has anyone figured out which pages of Persuasion your student read each day to make it fit and are willing to share?
Thank you.

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways