Would you say HOD is more of a CM approach or unit study?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
lmercon

Would you say HOD is more of a CM approach or unit study?

Post by lmercon » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:04 pm

I had an "interesting" discussion with someone regarding the philosophy behind different curricula. While not putting any judgment on either approach, would you say that HOD is more CM-like or unit study-like? What are your reasons for your opinion? Thanks for your thoughts.
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

Mommamo

Re: Would you say HOD is more of a CM approach or unit study

Post by Mommamo » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:33 pm

I would say it's more CM--includes a history cycle (although a bit different), living books, later grammar, dictation, narrations (first oral moving to written later), Shakespeare study, poetry study, nature study, art, hymn study. All of the beloved CM ideas are there, just maybe not everything every single year. It does have some elements of unit study (the science, history, Bible, and poetry loosely follow the same theme), but I don't think it's strictly unit study, which to me would be more an immersion into one concept and not following a chronological order.
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:46 pm

I think the boxes up through Bigger lean a little more unit study, and the guides after that more CM. Bigger might be about equal.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:51 pm

I also think more CM like. In addition to everything Mammamo said, some of the difference I seen with traditional unit studies is that I have spent a lot more time gather information, lots of long projects, lots of teacher lead activities, lots of hands on without me seeing how to implement the writing and notetaking of the experience. Everything with HOD does seem like it implements the CM ideals but still uses a 4 year cycle and she does schedule the major areas of science to align with the historical years as best she can. But I have found the notebooking, student led learning, writing and copywork, and all of the living books to be awesome! I guess it isn't a completely "true" CM full on curriculum but it is very close IMHO. This is the first time we have actually found a curriculum and stuck with it. We started when my oldest was 8 going into Preparing and she is now working through her 4th guide (I guess they are all in their 4th guide LOL). But yes, it has been eye opening how different this program is to other programs and how much of a wonderful balance we have experienced using it.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM