Preparing with a 6th grader?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Love2Learn

Preparing with a 6th grader?

Post by Love2Learn » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:44 am

We will be using Preparing with an 11 yo 6th grader and a 9 yo 4th grader. We are first time HOD users. I plan on using the extension for the 6th grader as well as the DIHOR 6/7/8 and 4/5 for the 4th grader (is that necessary or should I aim for the middle for DIHOR?) :?: . For literature, I will order a book pack for the younger, but am wondering about a book pack for the older - I guess I will need to put one together using the Book Shop or the Book List. Does the Book List have books for 6th grade and up for each of the genres apart from what is shown in the Book Shop? :?:

Is anyone else using Preparing with a 6th grader? What other adjustments, if any, will you make other than Math and Language Arts (we use Math-U-See and will use Language Lessons at their individual levels)? :?:

Boy I'm having a late start this school year...still need to order books and clean out the classroom. It's all in God's timing, but I'm starting to feel a little hot under the collar!

Thank you for your advice and input,
Jennifer

granolamom6

Re: Preparing with a 6th grader?

Post by granolamom6 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:29 am

Jennifer,
I am currently using Bigger with my 12 yo ds, 10 yo dd, and my 7 yo dd. I do have the older two do the extension pack on their own and they do math and English at their individual levels. I am finding, at least for us, that the books that are included are well within their reading levels and that this program has been enough of a challenge for them. I do not add anything and feel that it is "beefy" enough for them.

I am looking forward to eventually moving on to Preparing with them and am planning on just using what is provided along with the extension pack. That to me is the joy of living books... good literature is good literature. :D

I hope that I have been a help to you. Blessings as you begin your new year. The great thing about HOD is that once you have the books, you're good to go. There is not a lot of prep work, so there is no need to "feel behind". :D
Christa, wife to Sonnie since '93

ds- 13
dd - 10
dd - 7
dd - 4 — LHTH
And another blessing due in March '09.

Visit my blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/granolamom6/

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Preparing with a 6th grader?

Post by Carrie » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:44 pm

Love2Learn,

I'm so glad we got a chance to talk by phone about your upcoming year! If you have other questions, just ask away! The ladies on the board are wonderful about helping! :D

Blessings,
Carrie