Anyone expecting?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
slavila

Anyone expecting?

Post by slavila » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:37 am

Just wondered if anyone else will be having a baby during the school year and how you are preparing. I'm due January 1, 2009 with baby #4. This year I am doing Beyond with my first grader and Little Hands with my preschooler and I was have a 16 month old. I'm starting a month early so that it will give us a little time off when the baby comes and I'm hoping to just school all the way through until the baby arrives (hoping and praying I have the energy) since I'm not sure how school will go after the baby arrives.

Any BTDT moms have any advice on how to handle and prepare having a baby during the school year and what to expect?!!

Sarah
Sarah, Mom of 4.....
ds 6 -
ds 4
dd 2
dd 6 months

paliz

Re: Anyone expecting?

Post by paliz » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:44 am

I was this past spring. We did school up until baby came without problems. I took about a week or so off and then it was very helpful to get back into rountine. Having a newborn really wasn't difficult because they eat and sleep. Storytime was great when they were eating because I could hold the baby and the book or listen to my child read which ever the case was at the time. Now when we start back next week it will be a little more interesting as the baby is starting to roll and will be getting more mobile as we go.

madlib

Post by madlib » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:25 am

I was pregnant last school year - I delivered my 3rd daughter at the end of April. I taught right up until a week or so before I delivered then took a long break. I started last week using Beyond with my dd 7 for 2nd grade. I also have a 3 year old dd that I use some R&S and Kumon workbooks with. So far its going great. I think that the HOD programs are very easy to use with a baby. I try to schedule the areas that are more hands on and they will need more help (like Math, Science, etc) for when the baby is sleeping. I can then do storytime, read aloud the history portion, go over Bible verses, etc. while I am feeding and or holding the baby. This program is so flexible. My children (even the 3 year od who listens in) are really enjoying it.

Blessing for a happy and healthy pregnancy!

Robin

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:00 am

I am; due in March. I'm trying to figure out myself how things are going to work. I'm planning to start school in a couple of weeks, and go through until the baby is born...taking 1-2 weeks off at Thanksgiving, and 2 weeks at Christmas, then maybe 2 weeks once the baby is here. That will still allow us to finish by mid-June. I'm praying we will get into a good 'groove' quickly and then it will be smooth-sailing from there! :D

eazbnsmom

Post by eazbnsmom » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:18 am

I am not expecting, but had a baby last summer. I find it is actually easier to school with an infant (because they nap more, don't get into things, can read while nursing etc) than it is to school with a toddler. The nice thing about HOD (which I didn't use last year but wish I had...but I didn't know about it) is the way it is easy to do a box here and there and you can arrange it around a baby's schedule....there is also no to little prep....

I think you will be fine.....tired but fine! :D

Motherjoy

Post by Motherjoy » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:33 am

I've been pregnant or had a newborn each schoolyear since we officially started when oldest was 6. We have another due in Sept. I agree that schooling with a newborn is easy. ITs the toddlers that make it crazy!

We've struggled these last three to four years with figuring out what works for our family, and being disciplined enough to get school done. The major planning, outlining, combining several different books, etc that I did the first year became such a drudge. I have figured out that I HAVE to have program that is already done for me. Thank the Lord I found HOD. I'm exciting to start next week with Preparing and LIttle Hands.
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

SandKsmama

Post by SandKsmama » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:01 am

I am! Expecting #4 in February. My next youngest just turned 5, and we've only homeschooled 4 years, so I have NO idea what it's like to homeschool through pregnancy or with a newborn. I guess I'll find out! :-) I imagine I will be VERY thankful for the "pick up and go" aspect of HOD when the time comes. We're starting school today, and I'm already very thankful not to have much if any prep time, b/c I'm still struggling with all day/all night, all the time sickness. :-) Fun to see all the expecting mommies on here!
Amanda, wife to Michael since 5/99, SAHM to Susannah (7/96), Killian (1/01, and Katrielle (8/03) and ?? (2/09), Homeschooling and loving it!!

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:56 pm

I'm having baby #3 on Thursday. The plan is to only take off about 2 weeks but we'll see how everything goes. I'm hoping that it might be less than two weeks or at least if we don't get into full schedule, that we at least do half-days or a couple days a week till we get back into full swing.

I figure if I can do it with my high-energy 2 yr old ds, the baby should be easy! I can wear the baby if I need to and still get things done....not so much with my two year old!
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

slavila

Post by slavila » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:35 am

Thank you all for your replies!! Like most of you said, I think this year will be fairly "easy" with a newborn since they sleep a lot and aren't mobile! It's next year that will be a bit tougher when the baby is about 9 months and starting to get around! This year I have a busy 16 month in tow, so I should be used a tag-along by the time the baby comes!!

Congrats to all you expecting mommies! It's nice to hear from others in the same boat, and from those who have previous experience!

inHistiming - what part of NY are you from? This is my first year reporting for NY and I'm a little nervous about all the regulations. I'm in the Victor school district. We live in Farmington which is kind of between Rochester and the Finger Lakes. Congrats on your new blessing!

Kelly - I'm praying for you and your little one - I pray that you have a healthy delivery and baby (and an easy and quick recovery)!! Enjoy this awesome time!! Wow, you meet your little one tomorrow - how exciting!!
Sarah, Mom of 4.....
ds 6 -
ds 4
dd 2
dd 6 months

granolamom6

Post by granolamom6 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:22 am

Add me to the list! Baby #5 is due in early March. :D

Our first year of schooling -- 8 years ago -- I had a baby and a pre-schooler and was trying to do way to much with my K ds. :lol:

I agree with what has already been said, schooling with a newborn is a piece of cake compared to schooling with a toddler... but, that said, it does depend on the toddler, too.

My challenge right now is getting the gumption up to get back into the school swing during this early part of pregnancy. :P I have been very nauseous and tired. As my dear friend MamaMary reminded me, I am in "survival mode" right now, and I need to accept that. This too shall pass and a more normal way of life shall return. (It will, right?) So for now, I am thankful for summer and that my dh is home more because he is on break from his teaching job and that co-op will be starting soon. :D

Blessings to all you other "with-child" mommas! Hang in there! We are doing important work.
Christa, wife to Sonnie since '93

ds- 13
dd - 10
dd - 7
dd - 4 — LHTH
And another blessing due in March '09.

Visit my blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/granolamom6/

SheriPrescott

Post by SheriPrescott » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:47 am

We just started school this week (http://sheriprescott.blogspot.com) and are expecting a precious baby boy in 2 weeks!!! I'm interested to see how things go with a newborn, 2 year old, and 5 year old in Little Hearts... but as always, I know our Lord is faithful and will give all of us mothers strength, wisdom, and patience as we transistion.

I've also really appreciated the ideas you seasoned homeschooling mothers have given. Thanks so much!!! Keep them coming!

Hugs & Blessings to all the expecting mothers out there! ~ Sheri
http://sheriprescott.blogspot.com
Sweet Daughter ~ 5 years old, 1st grade, Little Hearts For His Glory
Sweet Daughter ~ 2 years old
Precious Baby Boy ~ Due August 20th, 2008

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:36 am

slavila-

I pm'd you with that info. :)

Mom25

Post by Mom25 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:55 pm

We're having baby #5 in November, so we're starting our year early (Aug. 18) and plan to take several weeks off. Like the others have said, it is easy to school with a newborn, but the toddler is more tricky (did this two years ago). I also have older kids who can help with my current toddler, which helps a lot. HSing with little ones is good training for family unity! :wink:

peridot

Post by peridot » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:28 pm

I am due in about 7-8wks...give or take. I am planning to take about 2wks off and ease back into it. Right now, things are going pretty well. My children's ages are almost 8, 5.5 and 3...then there will be the newborn. I think it will fit very well with a newborn in the house. I won't have to hunt anything down, since most is contained in the AWESOME TM's! Like other's have said, it will take a little tweaking when the baby gets more mobile. Hey that is what is fun about babies! :mrgreen:
~April~
Wife to my beloved husband
Mommy to our blessings (10,8,5,2 and newborn~12/29/2010)
We are going to use Bigger w/ 10yr-will be 11 (with extensions) & 8yr old & LHFHG with 5yr old-will be 6. :-)

melzy71

Post by melzy71 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:25 am

I am due Jan 7th 2009 just a week behind you! :o I am planning on starting school next week just a little bit early and not taking our usual month off for Dec. I will be taking the first month after the baby is born off cause I know I won't feel like nor beable to get school done that first month. I am doing Beyond with just one child... my oldest is going to public school (looooong story there) so I won't have to worry about him. Other than a few schedule mods I won't be doing anything much different. Also wanted to add, one reason why I picked Beyond for this year was because I have like 6 books for school and that's it. When I was doing AO I would end up with soooo many books I just kind of got discouraged cause some of them we wouldn't get to really because there were too many to keep up with. I like uncomplicated right now at this point in my life :lol: