How do you do Beyond at 1/2 speed?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
HSMom03

How do you do Beyond at 1/2 speed?

Post by HSMom03 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:16 am

How do you do Beyond at 1/2 speed? Would I do ALL of the right side and 1/2 of the left side each day? Thanks!

MelInKansas

Re: How do you do Beyond at 1/2 speed?

Post by MelInKansas » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:50 pm

Well, there are many ways to do it, and I think it depends on why you are going half speed.

If you are just trying to slow things down a little, have a lot of other things going on and need to lighten the load, or are just starting the guide and need to get into a good rhythm, and if you don't think you will be doing 1/2 speed much more than a couple of months, you would just pick half of it to do each day. Many say they do L side and R side. I don't always like the balance of that, so I would just pick a certain number of the activity boxes, writing things, and reading things and split those up. Or take the things that take longer (LA box, Reading maybe) and make sure you're not doing those on the same day, alternating between which half you do each day.

One example:
Day 1: Reading about History, Rotating Box, LA box, Math
Day 2: Poetry, Bible Study box, Storytime, Phonics

Though the more I look over it, the more I think Left side one day and Right side the next is really the best and most balanced way to do it.

If you think this is long term, you would probably want to incorporate math and reading more often than every other day. You could do math and reading every day, because the pace of those isn't linked to the other subjects in the guide and so you would get "ahead." (Using Carries hands on math activities might become troublesome as you get past the end of what's in the Beyond guide, but you could always buy the Bigger guide or use textbooks as you get out of Beyond's math plans). The plan then would be

Day 1: Math, Reading, copywork (less each day if you're going to do this every day), review Bible verse (but don't read or do the activity in the box), spelling, Poetry, and Storytime
Day 2: Math, Reading, copywork (if doing both days), Bible study (review verse as well), Reading about History, Rotating box,
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven