CTC-The Story of the Ancient World question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sweetsimplelife

CTC-The Story of the Ancient World question

Post by sweetsimplelife » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:42 pm

I have a question about the main spine used in CTC, The Story of the Ancient World. I have done some research on this book and it seems that they mesh the Bible accounts with other history traditions. My question is, how do you explain the differences from the stories in the book with the Bible accounts? Here is an example, after just a quick scan through the front of the book: the story of the Tower of Babel (it was explained that the tower was built to be higher than any future flood waters, which was not told that way in the Bible).

My son immediately noticed that one. I just explained that we should always hold anything that we read up to Scripture, and that sometimes it doesn't include all the details. I wasn't sure how else to explain that. Also, I was wondering if this happens a lot with this book? I would just like to be prepared. Thanks so much for any help with this! :D

waterandclay

Re: CTC-The Story of the Ancient World question

Post by waterandclay » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:17 am

Christine Miller or Guerber may have drawn from the Hebrew traditions on that story. I know that the Midrash says that they built the tower higher than the flood waters were said to have risen.

LovingJesus

Post by LovingJesus » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:52 am

I did what you did which was explain that we should always hold up everything we read to Scripture.

In CTC Christine Miller is used for the first 18 weeks, then the spine switches to Greece and Rome, and during the last weeks of the program the spine is the NT.
Last edited by LovingJesus on Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:06 am, edited 7 times in total.

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:47 am

I'm just getting ready to do CTC. This makes me sad as I'm not sure I'll catch them and I don't want to teach biblical inaccuracies:(
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

sweetsimplelife

Post by sweetsimplelife » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:57 pm

We weren't necessarily saying that they were inaccuracies, just that some of them seem to be history traditions passed down. The Bible doesn't always give us all the details. So, I wouldn't worry about that. So far my son is enjoying the book and I think that it is a good opportunity to show how we should always hold up what we read to the Bible. We are only about 3 weeks in. So, maybe some others who have been all the way through the book can way in on this. :wink: