First Day of Bigger!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tiffini

First Day of Bigger!

Post by Tiffini » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:03 pm

We have completed our first official day of using Bigger Hearts! It has been wonderful! Each box was a good amount of work - not too much or too little. We had a good flow to our day. My oldest loved going off to do the Extension Pack independently. The twins finished their portion right before lunch - so about 9:00 to noon. They only had their piano practice to complete. My oldest still had about an hour to go after lunch. The time involved seems just right. We are really looking forward to tomorrow. Thanks, Carrie!! :D May God continue to bless you and your family as you serve Him!
Tiffini
DD (21 ) Graduated! Used HOD from 5th Grade through 12th Grade!
B/G Twins (18) Graduated! Used HOD from 3rd through 12th Grade!
DS (12) and DS (10)- Preparing Hearts
HOD Users since 2008

my3sons

Re: First Day of Bigger!

Post by my3sons » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:29 pm

Hats off to you Mom! HIP! HIP! HOORAY! For a great first day!

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:42 pm

I'm so glad that you and your kiddos had a great first day!
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:49 pm

Tiffini,

I'm so glad that you had a great first day! You must have done a wonderful job! I always say that I have a great third or fourth day! :lol:

Thanks for sharing! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Tana in FL

Post by Tana in FL » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:08 pm

Yay! I'm so glad you posted about your first day! We'll be starting Bigger (and LHFHG) in a couple of weeks, and we're getting very excited! Reading posts like this make me look forward to it even more. :) Can't wait to join you!
Tana
DS 10: BHFHG w/ext, DITHOR, Horizons 4, CLE 4
DD 6: LHFHG, WP AW, Horizons 1, RME, CLE 1
http://allabouttana.blogspot.com/

Tiffini

Post by Tiffini » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:37 am

Well, in response to Carrie saying it is usually the 3rd or 4th day that is good - I wanted to say that we did a walk-through on Friday. We made it a special day and went out to breakfast and then I gave them their new school supplies and a few little goodies I have been picking up for them (battery toothbrushes :) ).
Then, we walked through the school day just as it would happen on Monday, but without actually doing the work. They knew what books they would need and when they would need them and what my expectations would be for each part of our day. I must say that I wish I had done that for my previous 5 years of hs'ing!! :) It made such a difference yesterday when we started the "real thing". We had all the stuff out of the way so we could just move on through the lesson plans. That is why the 1st day was more like the 3rd day for us! :)
Tiffini
DD (21 ) Graduated! Used HOD from 5th Grade through 12th Grade!
B/G Twins (18) Graduated! Used HOD from 3rd through 12th Grade!
DS (12) and DS (10)- Preparing Hearts
HOD Users since 2008

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:48 pm

Tiffini wrote:Well, in response to Carrie saying it is usually the 3rd or 4th day that is good - I wanted to say that we did a walk-through on Friday. We made it a special day and went out to breakfast and then I gave them their new school supplies and a few little goodies I have been picking up for them (battery toothbrushes :) ).
Then, we walked through the school day just as it would happen on Monday, but without actually doing the work. They knew what books they would need and when they would need them and what my expectations would be for each part of our day. I must say that I wish I had done that for my previous 5 years of hs'ing!! :) It made such a difference yesterday when we started the "real thing". We had all the stuff out of the way so we could just move on through the lesson plans. That is why the 1st day was more like the 3rd day for us! :)
What a great idea, Tiffini! I am going to do this before our first day. I love the idea of breakfast out and a basket of goodies - Perkins here we come! Thanks for sharing how you went about this - I sense a tradition coming on here with this one for us. :D

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Jodi

Post by Jodi » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:47 pm

Sounds great! It's exciting to read these first day and first week posts. Can't wait to join the club when we start in a few weeks. :)

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:12 pm

Oh Tiffini,

What a WONDERFUL first day! It sounds perfect! I loved what you said about it not being too much or too little! It really is the perfect meal. You walk away comfortably satisfied and by tomorrow your ready to eat again :D
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Rebecca

Post by Rebecca » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:21 pm

Tiffini,
I love your idea!
I was planning on walking through our school this year too...
your post just totally affirmed me!

We are starting Bigger too!
Thank you for sharing!
Rebecca

netpea

Post by netpea » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:25 pm

Tiffini wrote:Well, in response to Carrie saying it is usually the 3rd or 4th day that is good - I wanted to say that we did a walk-through on Friday. We made it a special day and went out to breakfast and then I gave them their new school supplies and a few little goodies I have been picking up for them (battery toothbrushes :) ).
What a great idea, I wish I had done that. I will remember that for next year. Thanks for sharing.
:D