4 days a week to stretch the guides out... How does it work?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momof3kids

4 days a week to stretch the guides out... How does it work?

Post by momof3kids » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:25 pm

Hi all!
I know I've read about this before, but couldn't find it again.....
So. I am planning to start my dd who will be 5 next month in Little Hearts. But, not wanting to overwhelm her, or get to the higher levels too soon... Wondering about doing four days a week?
How would you do it?... I know it adds about 9 wks... So spreading out the first three guides would give you 27 wks.. So almost another full year..?? So what so you do with the extra time??
Or, is half sped a better option??
Thanks ladies!
(I have just began CTC for two weeks at half speed with the oldest , now added my second son in Bigger this week.. He is begging to do the full lesson, so we are!)
Look forward to your input!
Married almost 13yr..dh and great father
5 blessings from God, 1 in heaven
9 yo ds- Preparing DITHOR
8 yo ds- Bigger
5 yo dd- Jut starting Little Hearts half speed
Baby boy born September 2014, now 2yo

StephanieU

Re: 4 days a week to stretch the guides out... How does it w

Post by StephanieU » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:40 pm

First, determine how many weeks you want/need to do of school a year. If your state doesn't have strict rules, feel free to be done with school after 30 weeks each year (or less). I'd your state requires 180 days or similar, remember there are field trips, days you only do the basics, etc. You may also want to schedule a week here and there for unit studies (Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter/Passover, seasons, etc).
Honestly, when I plan out too much, the schedule gets hijacked by life and our plans end up changing. So don't stress too much and just take it a day at a time.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

momof3kids

Post by momof3kids » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:26 am

Thanks StephanieU!
That's a good point.. We do like field trips!
I have even thought I may start something like FIAR and do with her until Jan, them start Little Hearts...???... Just don't want to get in over our heads as we do forward....??
Married almost 13yr..dh and great father
5 blessings from God, 1 in heaven
9 yo ds- Preparing DITHOR
8 yo ds- Bigger
5 yo dd- Jut starting Little Hearts half speed
Baby boy born September 2014, now 2yo

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:29 pm

I would just start Preparing once you finish Bigger. I have found that sometimes we try to add stuff in and tweak things but then we are miserable. I just love HOD, love the lay out, love the activities, love the balance, love pretty much eveyrthing about it. For me, I don't ever add anything anymore. So I would just take it day by day and once you finish Bigger, I would go ahead and just move to the next level if you think your child is ready for it.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM