How does it work with 4 different grades?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
ChristineJava

How does it work with 4 different grades?

Post by ChristineJava » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:56 pm

I have been looking at Heart of Dakota, but am still not quite understanding all of the combining. In September I will have a 5-year-old girl who is reading, and 8, 10 and 12 1/2 year old boys. Is it possible to combine all of them? Can the 12-year-old work independently? He is a fairly good student, but struggles with writing and grammar. How practical is it to do two, three or four programs at once?

StephanieU

Re: How does it work with 4 different grades?

Post by StephanieU » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:26 pm

I don't think you would be able to combine all of them, as they are pretty spread out. But, combining two or three (the older three) might be possible. I would check the placement chart and see where they place individually and come back. Normally if they are 1 guide apart (lets say Bigger Hearts and Preparing Hearts for example), you can combine in the lower guide (Bigger). Then depending on age and ability, you can decide how much of the extensions the older one will do.

As for independence, Carrie introduces independent subjects in Preparing. Starting with that guide, each box has a letter letting you know if it is independent (I), semi-independent (S), or teacher-led (T). The semi-independent things normally you get them started, and then they do most of the work alone before coming back to you to "check" that it is done. Your 12yo will most likely be at least in Preparing (probably higher), so he will be at least somewhat independent. Your 8 and 10yos might be somewhat independent as well (there are even parts of Bigger that are basically S things if not I like notebooking and timeline).

I am currently running 2.5 guides (LHTH is not full speed), and it is doable for sure. I just bounce between the kids, doing 1-3 boxes at a time with each kid. And eventually I will have four guides.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:21 pm

HOD is not designed for you to combine all of your kids with that wide of an age/ability range. I won't say "it can't be done," but to do so would require a lot of adapting. It just isn't set up that way.

Key in making HOD easy and fun is placement, having the child placed in the guide that best matches their skill level(s). Certain subjects can easily be adapted, reading, grammar, and math are the main ones as they are not connected with the core of History, Bible, Science, Poetry and therefore you can plug in whatever level your child needs. But reading ability and writing ability play strongly into which guide(s) you choose because of the independent work especially in the upper guides.

I find for my kids, separate is best. The trade off is, when a child is placed squarely in a guide, it is truly open and go. You do not spend any time planning for the school day(s), you just execute the plans. I also like giving each one of them the opportunity to thrive with materials that are suited right for their age and ability. They really do grow well with the right amount of challenge. I don't have to worry if one needs to slow down that I am holding anyone else back. We just work at it with that one until they are ready to move on. As Stephanie noted, if children place 2 guides apart, you can combine with extensions, but you can also keep them separate and you will have to weigh what you think works best for your family. If they place in back-to-back guides then the recommendation to combine would be a lot stronger.

Yes your 12 year old can be largely independent, but would still need some time to check in with you on his work each day. My 11 year old is doing really well and I so appreciate that she can be so independent with her work. Even if the day gets a bit derailed for the younger ones, she is able to keep on going (and school is really more critical for her than for the younger ones anyway).

So, check out the placement chart and let us know where your children will place. Doing several guides is very possible, obviously there are many of us who do it that way, but we could also recommend how to combine if you feel you need to do that, once we know where you think they fall on the placement chart.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

rumkimom

Post by rumkimom » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:43 am

I agree with the previous posters. Check that placement chart to see where your children place. You might be able to combine 2 of them ( the 8 and 10 year-olds in Bigger or Preparing?? where the younger one places and add extensions for the older one). I tried to combine my boys but they were just too far apart in their abilities (7&9 at the time), but they are both doing really well in their respective guides (LHFHG & Bigger) and will be ready to move on next year. This year I am running 3 guides and that is with all of them needing lots of help. Most of the time the oldest is fairly independent unless they have special learning needs (like my 14 year old...she also struggles with writing/grammar/comprehension and placed in a lower guide than her age would indicate).

I love that I do not have to prep ahead of time, all I do is open up the guides in the morning and we do what is there. :) So much easier for someone with lots of kids.
----
Wendy C.
DH-Owen
Emily (19 - graduatated from UCC spring 2018, Fashion Design Program)
Melody (17 - Rev 2 Rev-unit 21, IEW for writing, grammar, completed math)
Steven (12 - CTC, IEW for writing, grammar, spelling, TT Math)
Clarence (10 - PS)