English has become over her head

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mumkins

English has become over her head

Post by Mumkins » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:58 am

My 10 year old, 4th grade daughter is doing level 4. The last while, we've been pushing through, but not really understanding. Should I put it away and pick it up in the fall, when she'll be closer to 11 or how should I handle this?
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

Jennymommy

Re: English has become over her head

Post by Jennymommy » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:37 am

I would...I did, actually. My son is now getting back into it after half a year off. It was such a relief 8) This child does not progress smoothly in his learning...he makes a leap, hangs out for a while, then leaps again. So unlike my older two :roll:

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:40 am

I wouldn't keep pushing forward. The goal is to complete level 6 by the end of 8th grade, so you definitely have time to review, slow down, and get to a point where it isn't over her head. I dunt know if I would completely stop, but I might go back to a place she was grasping and slowly work forward from there at her pace. Rod and Staff had worksheets that might help, but simply redoing the textbook might be enough as well.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:41 pm

I wonder if I should buy the workbook and just go over the worksheets up to where we are? We're half way through chapter 6. I think I'd restart the chapter in the fall, after doing the reviews for the previous chapters.
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

rumkimom

Post by rumkimom » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:59 am

My 10 year old is doing level 2......and he struggles with that one! I would back up and repeat level 3 and then start level 4 again next year. :)
----
Wendy C.
DH-Owen
Emily (19 - graduatated from UCC spring 2018, Fashion Design Program)
Melody (17 - Rev 2 Rev-unit 21, IEW for writing, grammar, completed math)
Steven (12 - CTC, IEW for writing, grammar, spelling, TT Math)
Clarence (10 - PS)

momofmany

Post by momofmany » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:28 pm

I am very familiar with Rod and Staff curricula-its good and thorough, but rather dull and dry. Give her a break-maybe try some oral review or make a game out of some of the grammar terms to keep it light and easy. She will not fall behind, and the mental break may help her actually recall some of the material once you pick it up again. That has always worked well for us whenever a child gets overwhelmed.

Using good books and discussions, you will cover what she needs-and maybe not squelch her desire to learn.

Sarah