Placement Question for those with Dyslexics

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Kristen

Placement Question for those with Dyslexics

Post by Kristen » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:56 pm

Hi all,
I'm having a great time using HOD with my two youngest, DS8 and DD5. My question is about my DS14 (just turned in Dec.). He is dyslexic and I've posted many times here asking for help over the years. He is not doing HOD now but I'm considering it again. I have gotten great advice from "lmercon" (Laura) as I know you are in a similar situation. I have given up many times, had new babies, health challenges, given up again. LOL. :oops:
The thing is, God drew me to HOD about 10 years ago and he keeps bringing me back. I end up piecing my own things together and doing the bare minimum. My kids are learning, but it doesn't feel like that rich learning experience. I don't have much discipline in my homeschool. I read another thread recently about turning 40 and getting tired. Well, I'm 47 and I get tired. :wink: I feel like I'm always spending so much energy pushing the older two (DS15 and DS14) to get their work done. They are so distracted and dilly dally. I suppose it's because I have not established good habits. My younger two were starting to complain about school, until we started using HOD.
With DS14 being dyslexic, it's so hard for me to guage what he is capable of and I lack confidence to follow through. I tend to drop things and my kids know it. I want to have the confidence to tell him 'this is what you're doing and that's that.' When I've tried higher guides in the past I end up feeling like there are too many boxes, too much stuff. I start thinking, 'why are we doing 3 history things?' And I'm not trying to be difficult, I just need some encouragement. I guess this is where correct placement comes in right?
Is it too hard for him to jump into HOD at this age? (14 and 8th grade) He is a smart boy and has an excellent memory. He can comprehend things way above his reading level/age. He just recently discovered audiobooks and listened to an adult-level business book about Nintendo and how the company started, etc. He kept telling us interesting things he had learned. I told him to write about it, one paragraph. He asked how long a paragraph was and I told him a few sentences. He wrote more than a whole notebook page-full, by hand. (Typing has always been hard for him.) His spelling is pretty bad but he is a good writer.
As I look at the placement chart, age-wise he fits into MTMM, but when I look at the weekly samples, Resurrection to Reformation seems do-able. But I don't want to short-change him anymore and try to make things too easy. Not sure if I should place him at his intellectual or academic ability. I know I will read lots of it to him and/or use audiobooks when possible. He hasn't done too much fiction reading or writing but I think he is capable, such as what I mentioned above on something he is interested in. It has always been hard to get him to do school-work.
I really could use some guidance. Thanks for reading this and for any insight you can offer.
Kristen
ds17 - mostly textbooks, community college, and lots of hands-on projects
ds15 - an eclectic mix, sports, Scouts
ds9 - BHFHG, loves LEGOs

dd7 - LHFHG, loves taking care of her dolls, arts & crafts

lmercon

Re: Placement Question for those with Dyslexics

Post by lmercon » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:13 pm

Hi!
I feel your pain, and I completely understand what you are going through! I would say that no child is too old to jump into HOD, so don't let that stop you. I've always firmly held to the belief that a dyslexic child must be placed at his/her cognitive level, not at his/her skill level and then accommodations must be done to help that student be successful. I think the surest way to kill the love of learning is to force a dyslexic to learn at his/her skill level. To me, it seems almost cruel. As you know, many, if not most, dyslexics are actually very bright and inquisitive. I think HOD is the very best kind of way for a dyslexic kid (or any kid for that matter) to learn. It is such a varied approach to learning and taps into all the learning intelligences - the ones that are often their strengths and also the ones that present more challenge. I think that is where Mom comes in to play. My job is to create a scaffold of support and to pull away that support as he is able to meet the challenges on his own. I have seen that with my son over the years. It has been wonderful to watch, and I'm so proud of him. I still read a lot to him and help him with things, but much less than I used to do. There came a point when some spelling or grammatical errors on his narrations weren't worth putting him (and me) through the oral dictation and his recopy into the notebook. That's what we did for many years. He would dictate his narrations and then copy them into his notebook. He now directly writes his narrations in his notebooks. They are really well done in my opinion, but that was after many years of lots of help.

I've always had the personal mindset that we do all of the assignments if at all possible. Sure, there have been a few that we simply had to skip because of life, time, and energy. However, as a general rule, we don't skip. Because that has been "just what we do," my kids never ask to skip anything or try to wriggle out of assignments. They simply know that this is their day's work. The assignments that are given are always purposeful and often build on skills or provide a foundation for new skills. The history projects do take time and effort, but my kids are always proud of the finished project. They show them off and "narrate" what they learned about that day to Dad or grandparents. They love to look back at their old projects. My son gets excited when his little sister is working on something that he fondly remembers doing. I'm truly grateful that we haven't skipped things. It's made for a rich, full, and satisfying education. The four-day week schedule is a life savor. Whatever doesn't get done M-Th, we just finish up on Fri. They usually only have a couple of things to do, if anything. So I'd encourage you to start off with that mindset. It really does begin to flow once you get going.

I'm attaching a post I wrote some time ago about our experience with HOD and dyslexia.

Blessings,
Laura
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16802&p=117813&hili ... ia#p117813
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

Kristen

Post by Kristen » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:18 pm

Thank you Laura! Your story is very encouraging. I guess part of the reason why I wonder if he's too old is more because I can see from your experience how the years build on each other. And he wouldn't have that advantage, starting so late. He did do HOD for a few years when he was younger (Beyond, Bigger). I was all set to start Preparing with him in 4th grade. I remember it so clearly, I was sitting looking at all the wonderful books as he was in the other room finishing his educational testing to see if he was dyslexic. The consultant made recommendations to remediate his dyslexia. I thought "he'll never be able to do all the reading and writing in Preparing," so we ditched that idea and spent the next two years working with a tutor based on the consultant's recommendation. While he made great strides in his reading, he didn't do much in the content areas. It was a very rough two years, emotionally, for both of us. I didn't realize I could have read to him in order to do Preparing. Over the years I've read more things to him and he enjoys audio books too.
So, I want to "try" HOD with him again, but I guess I'm a little afraid to. I'd have a hard time honestly evaluating which level he should do. I think Resurrection to Reformation would be a good amount of work, but maybe a tad bit too young. ?? However, that history period would be perfect because we're about to that point in our world history studies. I think he'd like to do the Astronomy for science, and doesn't that include the "Boyhood" book too? (Sorry, don't have the exact title in front of me right now.) I bought that book in hopes to read it with my two older boys this year. So, in some ways it would be a good fit. If I did Revival to Revolution he would miss that whole Middle Ages period.....I don't know.....I know I should look at his skills. I guess I need to look at it some more and pray about it some more. :wink: I printed out the first week for those programs and I'll look at those too. Thanks so much for your insight!
ds9 - BHFHG, loves LEGOs

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:20 pm

Hi Kristen! Laura gave some wonderful advice! She has firsthand experience on this topic, and as such her advice is of the utmost value. I think the mindset Laura has shared has worked very well for her and for her son. So, when you think of your ds's cognitive ability, as Laura mentioned, and you also weigh the amount of support you will be able to realistically give him (I hear ya about being 47 yo and feeling tired, BTW :wink: ), what guide do you feel best fits? In general, if moms are teaching multiple guides with multiple children, we usually advise choosing a guide for each child that they can do the independent parts assigned very successfully, as this helps mom's time not be spread too thin among multiple children. There are multiple paths through high school, so I am sure whatever guide you think fits him best, as you know him best and you know what time you are able to commit to teaching best, we can figure out a good path through high school for him starting with whatever guide you place him in. Also, I guess I am wondering what guides your younger dc are doing, and what is your 15 yo doing? Just trying to think through your day with these different ages and with working as well. In the overall schemata, about how much time would you say you have to work with your 14 yo realistically? I'd love to hear your thoughts on any of this when you get the chance! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:23 pm

Typing the same time as you, Kristen! :D :D :D I see in your siggie that you are teaching LHFHG and Beyond Little Hearts now. So would you be teaching Beyond and Bigger Hearts for His Glory next year? Also, is 15 yo pretty independent then? Thanks!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

Kristen

Post by Kristen » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:40 pm

Thanks Julie! Yes, my 15 year old is pretty independent but I do spend some time with him each day going over things. I'd have to think about how much time I could spend with DS14. Sorry, I forgot to mention I would actually like to start HOD this year and just continue until we're ready to switch guides next year. We don't work over the summer. I'm open to maybe a little non-traditional high school.
I know he would love to get as much one-on-one time with me as possible. :wink: I sometimes feel I could spend all my time with him. So at times I've tossed around the idea of doing other programs where all the kids can be combined, but it doesn't work so well in real life. Someone always gets short-changed. What I try to do is work with them in age order. So I start with the youngest, while the others work independently. When I'm done with youngest, she plays or does crafts, etc. on her own while I work with DS8, and I continue up the line.
ds9 - BHFHG, loves LEGOs

lmercon

Post by lmercon » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:30 am

As I think back, I don't think we noticed a huge leap of required skills and difficulty level between Res. to Res. and Rev. to Rev. I would take into consideration how you wanted to handle the upcoming high school years. You can definitely beef up these guides to make them credit worthy, but that will take some extra work and planning on your part.

I wouldn't look at the last couple of years as "wasted." All that work that you did with him will pay off as he works through these guides. I stretched CTC over two years because of the extra (tremendous) amount of reading work we added into his day. Your son is probably a lot more ready than you think he is. He just needs to get interested in learning again. When his interest is piqued, he'll really take off. So all things considered equal, I'd include him into the decision. What does he want to study? What fires up his interest and passion? That will go a long way in his level of accomplishment.

As far as work for you, it's just something that we moms of dyslexics have to accept. It's just what is. They need abundantly more help, but I promise you, it will get better!

When my ds hit Res. to Res., I decided that we had had enough phonics and reading practice. We had been working hard for six years! He needed to be DONE! I just let him read. We turned our focus to grammar, spelling, and especially writing. The IEW Medieval history writing scheduled in Res.to Res. was a magical moment! That method of writing clicked with my ds. Dyslexics need a lot of rules to follow, and this was perfect. I ordered the TWSS and Student Intensive B program for him also. We had dropped grammar and dictation years before, so I picked up IEW's Fix-It Grammar and Phonetic Zoo. Those resources have been fantastic, and we've continued with them. His writing is so phenomenal! I never would have guessed that he would have improved so much in just a few years. The writing instruction is carrying over in his narrations as well.

I think as your son gains confidence in his abilities, he want to do more things independently. My son still enjoys doing things with me because he is so used to it, but he also loves the feeling of power that comes from confidently completing assignments on his own.

All that to say, I think it sounds like your son is well prepared to restart his HOD journey. HOD is so NOT scary. It is doable and enjoyable. You have the flexibility of starting off more slowly, using the fifth day, or skipping non-essentials. You make it work for your son. I've just found that kids, even dyslexic ones, are capable of doing more if we expect more.

Blessings on your journey! Feel free to pm me any time if you have questions or need advice, but I might need some help from you too!

Laura
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:43 am

Thanks for answering my questions, Kristen! I wouldn't worry one bit about starting HOD with your ds, or anyone for that matter, right now. Homeschool families start HOD any time of year - that is the beauty of it! You are not held back by the usual constraints when homeschooling. :D How exciting you will be starting now! Laura had some awesome advice... this part, among many others, resounds with me for you and your ds...
lmercon wrote:...All that to say, I think it sounds like your son is well prepared to restart his HOD journey. HOD is so NOT scary. It is doable and enjoyable. You have the flexibility of starting off more slowly, using the fifth day, or skipping non-essentials. You make it work for your son. I've just found that kids, even dyslexic ones, are capable of doing more if we expect more...
There are multiple paths of high school with HOD, and this thread by Carrie may be helpful in explaining them...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8208&p=59681

It sounds like you are possibly between choosing RTR and RevtoRev. Here are some thoughts about RTR for high school (*keep in mind the extensions for RTR were not written yet at the time of the first link's posting)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7240

Really liking RTR for our first high school year (by water2wine)...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8143

Here are some thoughts about RevtoRev for high school...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8208&p=59715

By looking at each first week of plans, as well as the above links, I think you'll be able to choose which guide to use with your ds. And then I'd just make a decision and start. Your other children are moving forward with their guides, so why not begin with your ds now? With each of our middle and younger sons, I have gone half-speed at one time or another and then switched to full-speed to finish a guide when they are ready. This means I've 'started' guides, many times, at non-traditional times. I have enjoyed the focus I've been able to give to each child as they begin their guide, because the others are moving along and doing well in their own guides. I see nothing holding you back from beginning now! You already know HOD - you know it will be a wonderful way of homeschooling, and you know how to do it. You are well-prepared, well-equipped, and your son is bound to be drawn in by it. :D The Lord will do the rest. When we choose HOD, we are choosing a Christ-centered curriculum. I have found He honors that. He blesses it. And I know He will do the same for you and your ds!!! Don't be weighted down by this decision, please. Both guides are amazing. It is just a matter of choosing one and starting! I am excited for you and your ds to begin. :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

Kristen

Post by Kristen » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:11 pm

Thanks Laura and Julie for your caring comments and encouragement. I will check out those links, Julie, about high school. I think I'm going to pray some more about it, but I don't think I'll start now after all. :wink: I just don't feel the time is right and I'll probably revisit it for the fall. I may PM you Laura. Thanks again!
ds9 - BHFHG, loves LEGOs