I'm so excited.......

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Riversidemom3

I'm so excited.......

Post by Riversidemom3 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:11 pm

.....and I just can't hide it! I'm about to lose control and I think I like it! (for those of you old enough to know who the Pointer Sisters are LOL). I got my box today. I can't believe I ordered Sunday night and here it is. This is my first year and I am going to be doing Bigger with my 2nd and 4th grader. I am facing a tough beginning for our school year as I will be having a hysterectomy two weeks after school starts. But at the same time I feel at peace knowing this will be easy to implement even during my recovery. Thanks Carrie.

I do have a quick question for anyone that can answer. I plan to do California History as well. Has anyone weaved their state history in with their program and did you find it easy to do?

Jeri
Jeri

DD16 Senior year and CollegePlus
DD10 (5th) - BHFHG, DITHOR, Calif. History
DS8 (3rd) - BHFHG, DITHOR, Calif. History

Natreez

Re: I'm so excited.......

Post by Natreez » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:03 am

Hmmmmm.....{scratches head wondering whether to show age by acknowledging the Pointer Sisters or not???} :wink: :lol:
{{{{Jeri}}}} I know exactly how you feel, I've had a ton of female problems and could possibly end up having surgery as well. I agree, it is a comfort knowing all will be well with your children because you've chosen a solid program. So congratulations on your "Box Day" !!! :D :D :D

As for the state study, although I've never done HOD before, it looks very flexible and depending on how in depth you want to go with your state study it shouldn't be a problem. I plan on doing a state study with my son this year in Bigger as well. Basically we are going to read lots of books on our state, discuss our state's resources, basic history, do some coloring pages on perhaps the state bird, state flower and flag, perhaps plan a field trip to a few historical places in our state, and perhaps a cooking and/or craft project to coordinate with our state. I'm planning to sort of just add this in after we've finished everything else on the agenda for Bigger most likely once a week in the afternoons.

Not sure if I've been of any help but just know your not alone! :wink:

Good Luck!
Natreez
mom to 8yr old ds and joining the "Bigger Buddies" in the fall! :wink:
mom to 14yr old ds going to public HIGH school in the fall! :cry:
Wife to the man of my dreams and mom to 14yr old ds going into public high school and 8yr ds doing BIGGER in the fall :-D

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:15 am

Oh Jeri!

I know that song WELL! :lol: I LOVE that song! It sums up most of my life. Doesn't take much to get me excited. (hmm..., I wonder if that is why high blood pressure kicked in this year :? ) I can't wait to hear all about your Bigger journey and I am stopping right now and asking the Lord to walk before you as you go to have your surgery. I pray that you will have His perfect peace that can only come from heaven. I am also praying for each of those on the medical team caring for you. Let us know right before you go so we can continue to lift you up.

The Lord gave me a verse a few weeks ago when I was having some health issues and now I am working on memorizing it. It was such a blessing to me. I will share it, in hopes that you are blessed as well...,

"Yet I still belong to you; You hold my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, leading me to a glorious destiny. Whom have I in heaven but you? I desire you more than anything on earth. My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart, He is mine FOREVER!!!!" Psalm 73:23-26 (Must admit that I had to peak! :oops: )

As far as state history, there was a thread on this a few months ago and Carrie told us how she weaved hers in with her son. I believe it was during Bigger. But maybe she will respond here and share it again?
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:29 am

I was thinking of doing this too, pretty much the same as Natreez. Since we're in a new state, and we're studying American History anyway, I though it would be great to study the state of New York more in depth. We will probably visit the Susan B. Anthony House, maybe read a biography about her. I'm sure there are many other great field trips to add; I'll have to research it. But I think it should be simple to add here and there without overloading.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:59 pm

How exciting Jeri! :D :D I'm going to be starting Bigger with my 3rd grader on Monday! We're super excited!!

I pray that your surgery and recovery will go well. Keep us posted, I'd count it a privilege to continue to pray for you.

The thread about state study just "popped up" again, so I didn't even have to search. Here it is...viewtopic.php?f=6&t=930

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Momtoamayalilal2

Post by Momtoamayalilal2 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:09 am

Riversidemom3 wrote:.....and I just can't hide it! I'm about to lose control and I think I like it! (for those of you old enough to know who the Pointer Sisters are LOL). I got my box today. I can't believe I ordered Sunday night and here it is. This is my first year and I am going to be doing Bigger with my 2nd and 4th grader. I am facing a tough beginning for our school year as I will be having a hysterectomy two weeks after school starts. But at the same time I feel at peace knowing this will be easy to implement even during my recovery. Thanks Carrie.

I do have a quick question for anyone that can answer. I plan to do California History as well. Has anyone weaved their state history in with their program and did you find it easy to do?

Jeri
Hi Jeri,
I'm new to this board but thought I would say hi to a fellow Socal homeschooler :D I'm not too far from you and go to church out in Riverside :D

Happy box day....praying your surgery goes well!

Amber
Mama to 7!
Oldest (18)
Dd 12-
Ds-9
Dd-7
Dd-4
Ds-2
Dd-brand new!

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BEYOND, CTC,WG over the years and always come back to Hod after a a season! :lol:

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:21 am

Gotta love box day!!! :D
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:01 pm

Box day is one of the best parts of homeschooling!
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

netpea

Post by netpea » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:16 pm

Riversidemom3 wrote:.....and I just can't hide it! I'm about to lose control and I think I like it! (for those of you old enough to know who the Pointer Sisters are LOL). I got my box today. I can't believe I ordered Sunday night and here it is. This is my first year and I am going to be doing Bigger with my 2nd and 4th grader. I am facing a tough beginning for our school year as I will be having a hysterectomy two weeks after school starts. But at the same time I feel at peace knowing this will be easy to implement even during my recovery. Thanks Carrie.

Jeri
this just came up in another thread, check here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1699

I pray your surgery will go well. I can't imagine what you're feeling right now but I know Carrie's wonderful programs will help make school life a bit easier for you through this.

Riversidemom3

Post by Riversidemom3 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:01 pm

Thank you all for your input and such kind words. Thank you for praying for me. I'm on my second year of a Titus 2 bible study. Whether you know it or not you are taking that mandate to heart through this forum by reaching out to others. You are true "spiritual mothers".

Jeri

wife of 20 years
mom to dd15
mom to dd9
mom to ds7
Jeri

DD16 Senior year and CollegePlus
DD10 (5th) - BHFHG, DITHOR, Calif. History
DS8 (3rd) - BHFHG, DITHOR, Calif. History

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:25 pm

Jeri,

I'm so glad you are excited to start "Bigger..". We did it last with our second son and really enjoyed it! :D We pray it may be a blessing to you as well.

We'll also keep you in our prayers with your upcoming surgery!

Blessings,
Carrie