practice pages in Singapore

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Gwenny

practice pages in Singapore

Post by Gwenny » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:31 pm

How do you all do these pages? The ones in the textbook that have 4 problems at the top with 4 problems in each one. They are all horizontal. Do you have them try and do all mentally? Write it out on another paper?
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

swansonacad

Re: practice pages in Singapore

Post by swansonacad » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:47 pm

We use a notebook or a whiteboard.

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:48 pm

I am not sure if I am thinking of the same as you but when space is limited, I have my kids uses another page to write on as they need it.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:46 pm

I just get another piece of paper to do the problems on, but wondering if we are supposed to do them mentally?
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:02 pm

For the textbook, we either draw/write directly in the textbook, or we use a marker board. We do these together, and usually I am doing the modeling. We play it by ear as to whether we do them mentally or write/draw them out. In general, Riley likes to attempt them mentally, talking out loud his way of figuring it, which I don't always get but which often ends up being right :shock: , but if he is not getting it right mentally/talking out loud through it, we draw it out together and discuss it. I look at the textbook as a total partnership time to work together and for me to 'teach' that way. On a side note, we approach the "Reviews" this way too, as they are quite extensive and difficult. My thought is to get all of our dc through 6B, even if that means doing it more 'together.' I have found even if we are partnering on a large majority of 5A through 6B, my dc take more from that than I believe they would working 'solo' with an easier math program. I found Wyatt to be more than amply prepared for Foerster's Alg 1 this way, so that gave me more confidence to approach math this 'partnering' way with Riley now in 6A too. That is just the way I do it though, and certainly someone else may enjoy approaching it another way! :D Hope something here helps! :)

In Christ
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie