Confused by experiment in RTR Unit 11 Day 4

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
farmfamily

Confused by experiment in RTR Unit 11 Day 4

Post by farmfamily » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:55 pm

My daughter did the experiment in RTR Unit 11 Day 4 today, and I have to say that we both didn't understand it. At first she shined the flashlight directly on the ball of brown paper so that it made a shadow of the "asteroid" on the white paper on the wall. She drew it like that in her notebook. But then we were talking about the difference between a "shadow" and a "reflection." The guide says that you should be making a reflection of the the brown paper ball onto the paper. I couldn't imagine how you could do that, since the brown paper won't reflect light onto something else. You can see light reflected off the brown paper ball directly, but then I'm not sure what the white paper is for.

Not sure if I'm explaining myself very well, but I wondered if anyone else could "shed some light" on how this experiment is supposed to be done?
blessed to be married 17 yrs to my hardworking farmer dh, mom to:
daughter 13 MTMM
daughter 11 Rev to Rev
son 10 CTC

Enjoyed Little Hands, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, Res to Ref, and Rev to Rev!!