OT: Blog question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Jen in Va

OT: Blog question

Post by Jen in Va » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:23 am

I've been collecting blog subs from those who have posted their addys--I just love reading about your experiences with HOD. I have a question for you bloggers--I have a blog--a knitting one and occasionally a photo of one of the kids will show up. I was wondering if any of you are concerned at all about posting your kids' pics online? Is there some way you can keep them from being downloaded by a third party? I'm seriously thinking of converting my blogging energies into a homeschooling blog, but have that little niggling worry in the back of my mind about photos of the kids. Am I being paranoid? Any thoughts?
Jen
Hsing mom of 3:
DS (20) college, home educated k-12
DD (17) 12th grade (2009-10), home educated
DS (6) Beyond (2009-10, have already started--loving it, btw!)

netpea

Re: OT: Blog question

Post by netpea » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:49 am

We don't post pictures of the kids because we aren't sure. We've heard from safety "experts" that it is not a good idea to post pictures, but on the other hand lots of things we do on a regular basis aren't considered good ideas.

So I'm not so sure.
:D

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:19 pm

I don't mind posting my kids pics because I have family that lives so far away from me (we are in IL and I have family in Alaska, California, Indiana, Michigan, Florida, Ohio) so it is much easier to keep everyone updated and able to see the kids by posting pictures. But I have to be careful because I run a day care. I try to keep the other kids out of the pics or at least where it doesn't show their faces clearly.

It just depends on what you need to blog for. For us it makes sense. But we don't give out our location in any blogs nor do we use our last names and we limit personal info. We use first names only. It is a personal thing for everyone. There is always a chance someone can download their pictures but I try not to live in a fear-filled world. It does pay to be careful, but we found that it was much easier to keep family informed this way.
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

beandip71

Post by beandip71 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:25 pm

I post pictures of my kids on my blog all the time, but I am careful not to give out too much info. Like the pp said I only use first names and I don't say what city we live in, only the state. I feel comfortable doing it and it does not worry me. This is just how I feel about it. HTH!

Gina
CTC-10 y/o (dd)
Bigger-8 y/o (ds)

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:06 pm

I post pictures because we have family scattered across the country and it's the easiest way to keep everyone up to date about what's going on. We only use our first names and don't have our city listed on our blog.

Honestly, I don't understand why people are concerned about posting pictures. Not trying to start an argument (I know you can't read my tone on email) but genuinely wondering what is the big deal. Even if someone you know downloads your picture what are they going to do with it. I can understand personal info can be bad because people can find you, identity theft, etc but I've never understood the picture thing. Am I missing something big here?
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

Jen in Va

Post by Jen in Va » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:28 pm

I like the precautions you guys mentioned and have removed my city name, but left the state. I don't use my real name on my blog--just my nickname. Nor do I even use any of my family's names. I've given nicknames to them all.

I guess my hesitation comes from knowing too much about the sickos that exist in our world--truly, wish I didn't. You'd be shocked at what people will download and use for sick purposes. Where did I learn this--from having a craft blog and being involved in the online crafting community--go figure.

In addition, I have online friends who are photographers whose photos have been ripped off and used by other people as their own.

I think I may go ahead and post photos on my newly created blog--link below.

The line from Hill Street Blues comes to mind, "Let's be careful out there." Yeah, I know, I just dated myself.
Jen
Hsing mom of 3:
DS (20) college, home educated k-12
DD (17) 12th grade (2009-10), home educated
DS (6) Beyond (2009-10, have already started--loving it, btw!)

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:03 am

I grapple with this and it was one of the things that led me to drop my blog altogether in the spring. I started it up again.
I have fake names for my kids, although if you listen to the videos or see some of the older photos, their names appear on them occasionally.
You can chose a blog with only invited people, too. I don't have that.
I do struggle with this. :S

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:32 pm

We have pictures on our blog and we use first names. I don't think I've referred specifically to the city we're in, just the state, but I know I've talked about visiting certain places. We started the blog because we also have family all over whom we don't see very much. I wanted an easy way to keep them up to date...they can check the blog as much or as little as they like, but our info. is pretty much always current. So far it has worked well for us; I haven't had anything odd happen yet. I do have it set up so that I approve any comments that are made. That way, nothing can just show up without me knowing it. My two oldest kids have their own blogs, and theirs is set up the same way. No comments are published until I've seen them and know who it is. It's hard to know today how to do things, how much to do, but we've been pretty comfortable with our level of information. Everyone is different, so I guess it really has to be what you specifically are comfortable with. :)

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:28 am

To keep our out of town/out of state family connected, we set up a closed yahoo group. All members must be approved by me. So we can easily sare any info or pictures we want since it's a closed by password only group. Maybe you could do something like that?
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:26 am

Hi Jen,

I think this is such a good question. I went through a phase of really questioning myself a few years ago. My husband is in law enforcement so we are well aware of those who are living in their sinful nature. Though my fear came after hearing someone else share their concerns. I began asking questions and got tons of wonderful, but differing responses. Here is what I felt the Lord whisper to me...,

"Come To Me Mary"! I believe He leads each family differently. I do not put my city, but I do put my state. He is our protector and our Wisdom. He is our Strong Tower and it is in HIS shadow that I hide from the things of this world. I believe that if you feel a hesitation you should not post pictures of your children. God knows your future and He may place that hesitation there for a purpose. (trying to protect you) After taking it to Him myself I really felt like my fear was based on others sharing their fears and it did not come from Him. However, I am always open to His voice and will trust Him if one day I feel that hesitation. I can only see today, but HE sees my tomorrows, both the good and the bad!

"My heart has heard you say, "Come and talk with me". My heart responds, "Lord I am coming"! Psalm 27:8
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:53 am

I have to admit that at first I had second thoughts about whether or not to post pictures of my kids too. But after talking about it with the LORD, I felt that he was telling me that it is in His hands anyway. He has repeatedly (and I do mean repeatedly...I really am a slow learner I guess) given this verse: "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not fear nor be discouraged, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."~ Joshua 1:9 (I may have already posted that on other threads....I'm not sure), and it has sort of become the mantra of my life. I've had a really rough year the last year and He has been such an encouragement to me, especially through this verse. That's why I also question the old saying of "God will never give us more than we can handle", because with all that went on this past year, it was definately more than I could handle. At least on my own. But HE was there to help me. I think that if He only gave us what we could handle, we wouldn't need to turn to Him. He never promised us only what we could handle, but rather that He would always be there with us and to never forsake us. But now I'm going off on a different thread altogether..... :oops:

Back to pictures on blogs....

There are definately some sickos out there. But they can be at the grocery store or the park or the beach or...well you get the picture. I remember once when I was standing outside the ladies room at a NASCAR race waiting for my hubby to come out (of the men's room right beside the ladies room...probably the only sporting event I've ever gone to where the mens lines are longer than the ladies lines for restrooms). Some guy just took a picture of me. Most likely he wasn't a pervert, but for all I know he was...I have no idea what he ever did with that picture. I think it was just his way of flirting as he later came up to me and said he needed my name and number for a newspaper article...yeah right, but most likely harmless. Rabbit trailing agian!!! But the point is, that perverts while they do hide lurking on line, they can be next door to you as well.

I am careful about not saying what town we live in (or even what town my parents live in as we go there quite often), and no last names. We do it as a great way for family and friends, (even my hubby) to get to see what our week is like. Most of them are all over the country, but even hubby misses out on what we do from day to day while he is at work, this way he gets a better PICTURE of what we do. He looks forward to reading it every week.

SO all that rambling is now done.....just my 2 cents...and that with about $4 might get ya a coffee at Starbucks! Take it for what it's worth. :wink:
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10