Reformation Day?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
SetApartForHisGlory

Reformation Day?

Post by SetApartForHisGlory » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:15 pm

I was just wondering, do any HOD families celebrate Reformation Day (Oct 31)? Do any of the guides have any Reformation activities? I see these bloggers who have their kids write their "thesis" and nail it to the door, like Martin Luther, and it looks like so much fun. We decided to quit celebrating Halloween years ago, and I think spending that day having our own celebration for something we truly believe in would be really fun. If anyone has any fun activities for this day I'd love to hear about them!

I should probably say, I grew up Catholic. And the freedom from bondage that "Reformation Day" symbolizes is kind of a big deal in my own walk with God, so I think I might get more excited about it than most people. Whenever I've talked to my Christian homeschool friends about celebrating it together, no one seems to be interested :/ But having grown up, going to Catholic school and learning about Martin Luther as if he were a villain, then coming to realize that he is the one who actually made it possible for me to practice Christianity Biblically... I'm just a really big Martin Luther fan!! ;)
Andrea (35) ~ God's Hand in Life's Little Moments
Daria (16) ~ World History
Cooper (1) ~ Preparing Hearts for His Glory
Stacia (8) ~ Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory

MelInKansas

Re: Reformation Day?

Post by MelInKansas » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:09 pm

There is one family here in town who love to celebrate Reformation Day and they make it really fun, often inviting our whole homeschool association group to join.

Last year it was a "Bible Smuggling" contest. There were guards at the door and you had to see if you could smuggle a Bible into the building. It was a potluck soup supper, some teaching and discussion (I think last year about persecution and areas where you're not supposed to have God's word), and then game night.

We didn't go last year but if they do something this year we plan to do that instead of Halloween. For a while I thought Halloween was a good chance to talk with neighbors, and it is, but of course my kids get so greedy about the candy, the issues with what kind of costumes they are allowed to wear, and then my one daughter who is really sensitive to anything scary had night terrors because of someone at a house who was out there trying to scare the kids. Finally DH and I thought that in this case, we were just going to stop participating in the cultural norm and choose to do something else. Candy-wise I have a friend who gave his kids $5 not to go trick-or-treating. Then the next day they could go spend their money on clearance candy, whatever they wanted. That seems like it would be fun too.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

rumkimom

Post by rumkimom » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:17 pm

We always referred to Oct 31 as Reformation Day when I was growing up. I never celebrated Halloween and neither have my children, but have never really done anything to celebrate to celebrate it (other than play games hat home). My oldest daughter's birthday is Oct 31 so we go out to eat for her birthday that evening.
----
Wendy C.
DH-Owen
Emily (19 - graduatated from UCC spring 2018, Fashion Design Program)
Melody (17 - Rev 2 Rev-unit 21, IEW for writing, grammar, completed math)
Steven (12 - CTC, IEW for writing, grammar, spelling, TT Math)
Clarence (10 - PS)

SetApartForHisGlory

Post by SetApartForHisGlory » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:30 am

MelInKansas wrote: Last year it was a "Bible Smuggling" contest. There were guards at the door and you had to see if you could smuggle a Bible into the building. It was a potluck soup supper, some teaching and discussion (I think last year about persecution and areas where you're not supposed to have God's word), and then game night.

What a fun idea!!
Andrea (35) ~ God's Hand in Life's Little Moments
Daria (16) ~ World History
Cooper (1) ~ Preparing Hearts for His Glory
Stacia (8) ~ Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory