Upcoming 9th grader - Thanks for advice

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Music Mom

Upcoming 9th grader - Thanks for advice

Post by Music Mom » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:41 pm

I wanted to thank everyone who listened to me and offered advice on where to place my daughter. I really needed to be able to discuss it more, but unfortunately was not able to do that. So I was left still floundering. But sometimes that is exactly where we need to be!

I was in Half Price Books a couple of weeks ago and saw the three Notgrass American History volumes. They cover History, Bible, and Literature/Composition, which are the very three subjects I had NOT decided on yet. It was Providential. I put them in the cart and bought them. When we got home I noticed they had heavy perfume odor, which means we can't use them. I would have noticed had I been carrying them instead of putting them in the cart. I did take the time to really look through them, though, and discovered that this curriculum is amazing and really meets our needs. So after we returned them I ordered them new.

I will be able to use this and still allow my daughter to do her own exploration and studies. I will also be ordering some - well, probably lots - of the books from HOD for her to read. I just have to decide which ones she will read when.

Thank you to everyone who helped me. Thanks to Carrie, who told me that I really couldn't tweak the curriculum. Carrie, you were obviously more interested in helping me to find what really worked for me than you were in just selling another curriculum set. That speaks volumes about you, and I appreciate it more than you know. This was really important for me to know. It was a bit confusing, as the website does say it is flexible and can be customized, but that may have meant something other than what I thought. Nothing is right for everyone, and I really appreciate the help I found here. Everyone who responded to my post was helpful to me.

Thanks again to everyone.