HOD in a very small school setting

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
alhempel

HOD in a very small school setting

Post by alhempel » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:21 am

I am in a unique position as my husband and I work in a ministry at a boarding school for troubled teens. WE have been in this ministry for 17 years but we have a high turn over rate of new staff. One of the things we offer is a school for children of the staff which I run. It has in the past few years consisted of my 6 children and one or two other older children. Using HOD has worked wonderfully so far. This coming year, it is possible that I have a single father with three children ages 7, 8, and 9 attending as well as another 7 year old. The children are all wonderful and listen well. I am a certified teacher with classroom experience so adding the 4 kids isn't an issue that way. I would however, like to place them with my children and not add any guides. I would like to keep my children consistent as I said we see staff come and go with frequency. I also school my own 2 sons in high school guides as well as another student who will begin MTMM. (They are all pretty self sufficient at his point.) The Dad's children are 7 year old girl( going into 2nd), 8 year old girl and 9 year old son(both going into 3rd). The 9 year old has struggled with reading and repeated a grade in public school. I have a seven year old daughter and 9 year old son both schooled entirely with me. My daughter is currently stopped for summer break at Unit 18 of Beyond and my son will begin Preparing in the Fall. My son is not a super strong reader but does well and struggles somewhat with writing. My plan was for my daughter to continue Beyond 4 days a week like the older students to stretch the book out and fill in with some unit studies here and there, allowing a more relaxed pace. I really don't want to add Bigger as I don't think I would have the time. I am thinking of placing the girls with my daughter and the boy with my son but worry Preparing could be too much for him. I do feel the boys could feed off each other and help each other. I also do have an assistant most days. At this point it is just a possibility but I was curious if anyone had thoughts...
Alison

I-15- completed World History Guide
T-14- completed World Geography Guide
E -8 completed Bigger w/ emerging readers
M-6 In Beyond w/ Emerging Readers
G- 3 years and ready to start some school
C- 4 1/2 months