The Reading Lesson

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
~Summer~

The Reading Lesson

Post by ~Summer~ » Wed May 20, 2015 10:17 am

Those of you that have used The Reading Lessons, can you please share how you used it? Did you repeat a page several days until your child mastered it, or do you just continue on and they pick it up as you go? Do you review previous pages before that days lesson?

jacynamommy

Re: The Reading Lesson

Post by jacynamommy » Wed May 20, 2015 10:51 am

I am using it now for the 4th time (with my 4th child). We have always just done a couple of pages each day and then moved on. If they didn't seem to "get it", I moved on anyway, knowing with continued repetition, it would sink in, and it has! We also don't review before we move on, as I feel (especially when they're young) that they have such a short attention span anyway, that I've wasted half of it on reviewing old stuff and then don't get as far on new stuff. I'm sure everyone does it differently, but this is what has worked for us. I have 3 tremendous readers and one who is on her way! The Reading Lesson has worked wonderfully for us!
Meredith

Trusting in Him to supply all my needs! Phil. 4:19
Mommy to:
Quinter 15 WG
Gabry 13 WG
Ainsley 12 Res to Ref
Bryn 9 Preparing
Silas 6 Beyond

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Wed May 20, 2015 4:17 pm

I think you just have to figure out what works best for the individual child. With my son he only wanted to do 1 page a day... Even that was "pushing it". It took us 2 years to get through it..! But now he is an *excellent* reader and loves to read. He went from level 1 readers to level 4 in a few months and I see him reading "for fun" now too.

With my daughter it is different. She LOVES The Reading Lesson. I have to limit her or she'll want to do it for hours. So we usually just do 2 pages. We also use treats. We open a packet of gummi candies and I give her a word to put a gummi on and then she gives me a gummi and tells me what word to put it on. She ends up reading each page like 8 times this way, looking for the right word, AND SHE THINKS IT IS A GAME. Hehehe.
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG

rgrindle

Post by rgrindle » Wed May 20, 2015 8:26 pm

raindrops wrote:We open a packet of gummi candies and I give her a word to put a gummi on and then she gives me a gummi and tells me what word to put it on. She ends up reading each page like 8 times this way, looking for the right word, AND SHE THINKS IT IS A GAME. Hehehe.
Love it! :wink:
DS(13.5) - Rev2Rev, R&S Grammar 6, Principles of Math 1
DS(12) - Res2Ref, R&S Grammar 5, Singapore Math 6

bethelmommy

Post by bethelmommy » Wed May 20, 2015 10:39 pm

I have used TRL with my oldest 2dc. My oldest ds picked up reading easily, so we only regularly reviewed pages through the first part of the program. Then, we did 2-3 pages a day and only repeated stories and key word pages when necessary. Dd started reading earlier than ds and had less attention span. For her, we did one review page and one new page each day. That was her limit through most of TRL. Ds completed the program in just over a year. Dd took closer to 2 years.
Grace and peace,
Alicia
DS 14 MTMM, DITHOR 6/7/8
DD 13 Rev2Rev, DITHOR 4/5
DS 10 Bigger, DITHOR 2/3
DD 8 Beyond, Level 2 Book Pack
(Previously completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, and DITHOR 2/3, 4/5)

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Thu May 21, 2015 12:16 pm

I agree with Raindrops,and our time with The Reading Lesson has gone much the same way. My ds struggled to get one page to begin with & we did do some review - I picked a page or two rotating them.
After lesson 12, I think, he picked up on reading so quickly that we sped through and the last few lessons were redundant.

My dd does well on reading if it's within the context of TRL. She loves to do it and will spend hours on it - if I would let her! She likes to color the illustrations if she does well on the "story". I also allow her to teach her doll or stuffed animal for a bit. She needs less review & usually we only do that on Mondays since we take Sunday off from "formal" lessons. :D

A lot depends on the family, and then the individual child, but overall I think it's best to balance it out by having some review- but mainly moving forward.
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)