Lhfhg telling time and calendar help

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Joysof3boys

Lhfhg telling time and calendar help

Post by Joysof3boys » Fri May 01, 2015 1:39 pm

Hello! I am new to This forum so I hope I am posting this right!

We are beginning our homeschool journey with our oldest, who turned 5 in January. I ordered our lhfhg curriculum this week and we are eagerly awaiting it's arrival! I have a question for all you veterans! How old are children typically when they begin to grasp the concept of telling time on a clock and understanding the concept of time on a calendar etc? Does Heart of Dakota utilize teaching these concepts? Do I need to focus on this daily or do they just kind of catch on over time when using it in daily life?

Like I said, we are new to our homeschooling journey and I would love any advice and suggestions. I am a sponge! I am looking forward to our year with Heart of Dakota and being a part of this community!
Mom to 3 boys:
DS 5 (LHFHG)
DS 2
DS 1

StephanieU

Re: Lhfhg telling time and calendar help

Post by StephanieU » Fri May 01, 2015 2:11 pm

Normally, in kindergarten (5-6yo), students can tell time to the hour. in first grade, you do half hours. In second grade, they do 5 minute intervals. Finally, in 3rd grade they do minutes. This is the schedule in Singapore as well (which HOD recommends for math). In 2nd and 3rd grade, they also work on word problems, estimation, etc.

For calendar, you will find some rhymes with the days of the week and months of the year. Normally around 5, my kids have figured out the day sof the week. Months normally take my kids a little longer. Also, in Beyond and up, students build timelines, so they get more understanding of lengths of time. One activity in beyond was to make a simple timeline of your child's life before starting the the timeline for US history. LHFHG has a timeline in the LIttle Pilgrims book that Carrie references a few times.

Really, it is something that they eventually pick up. It isn't something that they pick up in a day or a week, but it is something they learn over time.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Fri May 01, 2015 3:25 pm

StephanieU did a good job of explaining, but I did want to chime in to say every child picks it up at different ages.
I use the guidelines above, but also use a couple rhyming songs once or twice a week during our "fun school" time. One child learned those in Kindergarten, one in 2nd grade, and my third knows most and is working on 1st grade. Most children get it pretty well down by end of 1st. (I've tutored & subbed before) If you make it fun like Carrie has planned it helps solidify a lot!
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

Joysof3boys

Post by Joysof3boys » Sun May 03, 2015 7:59 pm

Those guidelines make great sense and will help me as I navigate. Thank you both so much for taking the time to answer my questions :-D
Mom to 3 boys:
DS 5 (LHFHG)
DS 2
DS 1