Need help for High School Science

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
stacey05

Need help for High School Science

Post by stacey05 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:46 am

Hi. My son is doing Res2Ref right now in 7th. I want to continue the cycle and put him in Rev2Rev for 8th and then MTMM for 9th. I will then do WG in 10th, WH in 11th and AH (first part) in 12th. I know MTTM can count for HS credit in Science if we add in a few things. It could count for a Chemistry credit. My question is about the first AH guide. The sneak peaks are showing that it will be a Chemistry course as well.

So, does anyone know what Science credits I can count for HS by doing MTMM for 9th, WG for 10th, WH for 11th and AH (year 1) for 12th?

Thanks!

StephanieU

Re: Need help for High School Science

Post by StephanieU » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:00 pm

First, I would look at your state requirements as well as your child's interests. Here are the possible credits as written (plus "extensions" for MtMM):
MtMM: Chemistry
WG: IPC/Physical Science (IPC=Integrated Physics and Chemistry which is basically physical science)
WH: Biology
AH 1: Chemistry

So, first see what your state and possible colleges require. Often it is just 3 science credits with labs. If that is the case, you could just do the MtMM science as written even. But, if your child is interested in science OR your state/colleges of interest require 4 years of science with labs, then you have to figure out how you want to adapt the science in HOD to fit.

First, you could move biology to 9th grade, doing it and the evolution study in the MtMM guide. The benefit of moving biology is that it is the one science that Carrie hasn't had to write a lot of information for. It is PACE biology, and you are using it almost as written. So, you wouldn't need another guide. Then you would do the WG IPC as written. When you get to WH, you could do physics or anatomy and physiology or some other advanced science (other than chemistry). Then, do the chemistry in AH 1 as written. Or, you could beef up the chemistry in the MtMM guide with the Chemistry 101 DVDs or similar items. Then do the WG and WH science as written. Then, finally when you child gets to AH 1, do some sort of advanced science.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)