MTMM science..

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
ms13

MTMM science..

Post by ms13 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:35 pm

What is the Science in MTMM considered??? Chemistry, physical science or physics and chemistry?? Would calling it physical science be ok to put as a 9th grade curriculum when I send in my form to superindentent??

StephanieU

Re: MTMM science..

Post by StephanieU » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:55 pm

It is a mix of chemistry and earth science. If you beef it up, you will probably beef up the chemistry, giving you a chemistry credit.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:11 pm

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10600#p77140

Carrie lists some ways to beef up the chemistry here. Another option would be to do the biology listed in the WH guide, as that wouldn't require the guide to line things up. Then do WG as written. When you get to WH, you could then do either chemistry that is in the American History 1 guide or an advanced science, and then do opposite for the senior year.
Mom to

ms13

Post by ms13 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:55 pm

the reason I ask is that our school district here does physical science,biology,chemistry which all have to be lab sciences. (3 years of High School science).
I guess what I am asking is if I do science as is in MTMM is that considered Chemistry or could I use it as Physical science. He is actually doing Apologia Phys Science this year in 8th grade. :shock:

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:46 pm

Physical science would have to include some physics topics, which I don't think MtMM covers. There is some biological science, a lot of chemistry, and a little earth science (creation vs evolution). You could add some physics I guess to balance it out.
As for what the schools do, does it state you have to do it in that order? I know many states just require the credits, not specifying the order. In that case, the biology first would probably work the best since it is more logical to do chemistry after physical science.
Mom to

ms13

Post by ms13 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:04 pm

Our district only requires 3 years of science with 2/3 being physical science and biology. So I think I will do MTMM chemistry as is for 9th grade and the next three years get in the sciences according to our district requirements and HOD high school courses. Thanks everybody.