Updated: Sneak Peek #1: New American History Guide

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Updated: Sneak Peek #1: New American History Guide

Post by Carrie » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:06 pm

Stacey,

Thanks for sharing a bit more! Did your daughter complete the science in MTMM as written, or did she add Carbon Chemistry and the Chemistry 101 DVDs? Depending on what she did with the MTMM science, you could pursue several different options. :D

If she did the MTMM science as written, I would probably call the course Intro. to Chemistry. If she added the Carbon Chemistry and the Chemistry 101 DVDs, you could call it just Chemistry on the transcript. The difference is subtle but does make a difference. If she just did an introduction to Chemistry, then another pass through chemistry is needed. If she added the Carbon Chemistry and Chemistry 101 DVDs, she could probably forego another chemistry, knowing that she isn't destined for a science-related field so she will not be hampered by a less rigorous chemistry approach. :D

If she does need another pass though chemistry, I would be inclined to wait to do that until she has completed Algebra I (meaning we would delay taking the deeper chemistry until she is a senior, and then do the Dr. Wile text at that point). Either way, it is looking to me like she needs a physical science or possibly an Integrated physics and chemistry for her junior year.

As far as physical science goes, did she do the Advanced version of Exploration Education when she did Revival to Revolution, or did she do the Standard version? If she did not do the Advanced version, she could possibly just do the advanced portion (meaning days 4-5 of the advanced version of EE) to complete her physical science credit for high school for her junior year. Or, if preferred she could do the Integrated Physics and Chemistry instead, but this will depend on what she did in MTMM for chemistry, as we don't really want to list 3 chemistry courses on her high school transcript (i.e. Intro. to Chemistry, Integrated Physics and Chemistry, and Chemistry).

So, if you can share more about whether you added Carbon Chemistry and the Chemistry 101 DVDs to the MTMM science, or whether you did MTMM science as written, we can unravel this a bit more! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

snadig

Post by snadig » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:12 pm

Carrie,

Sorry I didn't give a better picture. She did the advanced EE in RevtoRev. We added Chemisty 101 dvd ( We watched it and talked about it, but that was it) to the MTMM and did what was written, I added one other dvd, R C Sproul economics, so with the dvds already in the guide and this addition she was a bit over loaded with dvd's.

I hope this helps. Thanks for taking the time. It will all work out. I like to keep her challenged, but not heavily weighted down.
Stacey
Stacey in Co

Married 21years to my best friend
my wonderful kids:
19-dd-College student Aug 18
17-dd-US 1 Histroy -Aug 18
13-ds-MTMM - Aug 18
Finished:Beyond,Bigger,Preparing,RtoR,RevtoRev,CtC,MtMM,WH,AH1,AH2

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:21 pm

Stacey,

Thanks for your response! That really helps! :D It sounds like your daughter can list Chemistry with lab for her freshman year and Biology with lab for her sophomore year. For her junior year, I would be inclined to do the Integrated Physics and Chemistry with lab from the World Geography Guide. Then, her senior year, she can take an alternate science that suits her post high school plans, perhaps the one we have scheduled in our final American History Guide. :D

If your daughter is not going into a science-related field after high school, she should be able to get by without taking another round of Chemistry. If she changes her mind, then we will regroup for her senior year, have her take Dr. Wile's chemistry at that point and rename her science coursework from MTMM. Since the science in MTMM also includes a Genetics & DNA study including lab and Evolution: the Grand Experiment, along with the chemistry, the course could be named something else for science for transcript purposes if need be. :D

Blessings,
Carrie