still have questions...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momofmany

still have questions...

Post by momofmany » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:25 pm

So I know what narration is-after hearing a story etc the child tells me what he read, right? I do that :) Love the result and I even taught our church school teachers to use it when some children had comprehension issues This can also be done in written form, right? What level does this start in, or if there is a particular method for written form that they should use?

What is notebooking? I have seen this term quite a bit, but really it is a new idea for me. Could someone explain it plus what subjects it is used in and when it needs to be taught. Is it taught within the guide?

In the guides is there somewhere that if you are using R&S English, it tells you where to cut the extra work out? Or is that something I figure out? I think I can figure out what is extra having lots of experience with R&S, but I was curious.

Since this will be much more expensive than we are used to, does anyone ever try to get the books at the library or purchase them used? Any tips?
Thanks!

Sarah

StephanieU

Re: still have questions...

Post by StephanieU » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:47 pm

Here is a great place to start in regards to narration. Carrie's reply especially will be helpful. Instructions are in the appendix of most gudies to help the parent and student:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8118

Notebooking is done mostly in science and history. Some times special studies will also include notebooking. Notebooking is a way of recording what you are learning. In CtC and higher, the notebooking is done on pages HOD created. for history There are drawing, copywork, and responses (including narrations) recorded on the notebooking pages. In earlier guides (Bigger and Preparing) as well as science, notebooking is done on plain white paper following the instructions in the guide. Here is the first week of CtC: http://www.heartofdakota.com/pdf/CTC-First-Week.pdf If you look at the Reading About History and Science boxes, you will see some of the notebooking information (as well as narration).

And here is the information from the CtC introduction about Rod and Staff English (which is basically the same in other guides):
Grammar lessons are scheduled twice in each unit and focus on grammar,
mechanics, and usage for the purpose of improving writing. Choose either
Building with Diligence: English 4 or Following the Plan: English 5. Half of the
grammar text will be covered this year, with the other half to be completed in the
guide that follows. Systematic lessons focus on one rule or concept per lesson. In
order to keep the lessons short, you may want to do most of the lesson orally or on a
white board, requiring only one set of practice exercises to be written by the student
each day. The Teacher’s Manual is considered to be necessary at this level. See the
“Table of Contents” in either Building with Diligence: English 4 or Following the
Plan: English 5 for a scope and sequence. Students need a lined composition book
or notebook for their written work.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

psreit

Post by psreit » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:58 pm

As far as getting books at the library, that would work for storytime and DITHOR, if you are doing it. I recommend getting science and history books from HOD. You get a nice discount on the package, and even if your library has those books, you run into the possibility of them not being available when you need them. Also, some books may be used sporadically throughout the guide, so using the library for those books would be very inconvenient. If your library is like ours, you may not find many of the books there anyway. If you are having both of your girls in the same guide, you only need one set, so that definitely will help your cost. :)
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:24 pm

momofmany wrote:So I know what narration is-after hearing a story etc the child tells me what he read, right? I do that :) Love the result and I even taught our church school teachers to use it when some children had comprehension issues This can also be done in written form, right? What level does this start in, or if there is a particular method for written form that they should use?

What is notebooking? I have seen this term quite a bit, but really it is a new idea for me. Could someone explain it plus what subjects it is used in and when it needs to be taught. Is it taught within the guide?

In the guides is there somewhere that if you are using R&S English, it tells you where to cut the extra work out? Or is that something I figure out? I think I can figure out what is extra having lots of experience with R&S, but I was curious.

Since this will be much more expensive than we are used to, does anyone ever try to get the books at the library or purchase them used? Any tips?
Thanks!

Sarah
Hi Sarah! Such good answers here already! Written narrations begin in PHFHG. You can see lots of notebooking pictures I took in the HOD Weekly Check-in. In BHFHG and PHFHG, notebooking assignments are done on paper. In CTC on up through high school, they are done with HOD's notebooking pages. Here are some links that show both (Emmett's are from BHFHG, Riley's from RTR, and Wyatt's from WH High School)...
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16026
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16003 (sorry for the HUGE pics on this one :oops: - technical difficulties :D )
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15959
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15924
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15879

You can see more in the HOD Photobooks:
https://heartofdakotasphotobooks.shutterfly.com

For R & S English, typically we first do the oral review questions. With the youngers, I read the lesson out loud, or have them take a turn now and then reading. For the olders, they read it on their own as I read silently to remember :wink:. Then, we do the lesson 2/3 orally/on a marker board, and reserve 1 section to be written independently. I'd not skip anything but all the class type notes/lesson in the teacher's guide after the oral review part.

It's easiest to use your library for DITHOR books and Storytime books. I'd get the rest. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie