Need Your Help?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MamaMary

Need Your Help?

Post by MamaMary » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:43 am

We are studying "Adventure" in DITHOR and the book we are reading is, "Tolivier's Secret". In the first chapter it shows the Grandfather having his daughter bake a small snuff box, filled with secret correspondence, inside the bread so he can sneak it across enemy lines to Washington.

Since I bake my own bread I wanted to have the boys make their own message to dad. I don't own a snuff box. (go figure?) What could I use that won't melt and ruin the whole loaf? Any idea's?
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

granolamom6

Post by granolamom6 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:59 am

Mary! I LOVE this idea! You're so creative!

Would a cardboard matchbox work?
Christa, wife to Sonnie since '93

ds- 13
dd - 10
dd - 7
dd - 4 — LHTH
And another blessing due in March '09.

Visit my blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/granolamom6/

AmyB

Post by AmyB » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:33 am

Mary,
can I have your bread recipe? BTW, how warm does water have to be for the yeast to activate. I have tried making my own bread a few times, but it comes out flat and heavy. Obviously I'm not doing something right.
Thanks!
Amy
May God Bless You Richly,
Amy

mom2boys030507

Post by mom2boys030507 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:47 am

I don't have any ideas for you but that is a great idea.

BTW how do you bake bread and then not eat the whole loaf. I have yet to figure that out:)

Karen
Karen - mom to Bryce 02/03, Micah 03/05, and Matthew 05/07

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:03 pm

I think that Christa's matchbox idea would work, but I would wrap it with tin foil first, so that the dough doesn't make the cardboard soggy which could stick to the bread.

Or if you have the REALLY small play-doh containers (.5 oz I think???), well washed and lable removed, that could work.

A pill container. Either a small medicine bottle or a purse size pill box.

Just some thoughts....

I love the idea though! Very creative. I love love LOVE stuff like that!!!
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

SouthernMrs

Post by SouthernMrs » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:23 pm

Hi MamaMary,
How about a tea holder... one that you put loose leaf tea in? This at least would be metal and usually they have a snap shut lid, but they are small. Mine is shaped like a small house and the roof lifts for me to add my tea.
Let us know how it works!
Charlene

netpea

Post by netpea » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:35 pm

What a great idea, let me know how it works. I love to bake my own bread too, so maybe we'll try that when we read Tolliver's Secret.

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:52 pm

WOW, thank you so much! I wonder if I could just wrap it in tinfoil and use that? (I don't have a tea holder or a match box?) Thank YOU so much!

I use Breadbeckers recipe:

2 Cups of Hard White Grain (I grind my own grain to make flour)
1 Cup Soft
1 1/2 cup of warm water
1/3 cup Olive Oil
1/4 cup honey
2 tsp salt
1 egg
1 Tablespoon of yeast

I use my Zojurushi bread machine on the dough cycle and then shape and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

http://www.breadbeckers.com
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:59 pm

Mary you are a way out of control good mommy. That is such a good idea! :D When you get all the details worked out let us know so we can copy you.:lol:

And beyond that you have me looking at grain mill grinders. :roll:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:59 pm

wait wait!!! the perfect thing would be an old altoids tin!!! I used to have a zillion of them laying around (for, you know, "just in case!")

cool!!! let us know how it turns out!
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

mom2fiveboysnc

Post by mom2fiveboysnc » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:01 am

how about one of those little mint containers (i can't think of the name of the candy right now) they're a small rectangle shape or i think even round ones. and they're metal.
mom2fiveboysnc
C 23 engaged
J 21 cc
K 18 farm
E 14 CTC, EIW, Yr 2 Rainbow/Landry labs, co-op: math, spanish & ancient lit; Landry Academy airpower hx & science
B 10 PHFHG, EIW, SM/MM, co-op: NC hx, science, art, OT/Ancient Egypt history

we6rblessed

Post by we6rblessed » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:45 am

I had to laugh at the reply about eating the entire loaf...
I don't bake bread at home because I really could eat it all by myself..I can almost imagine it now and I am salivating.

Oh Mary, you should know better my dear Weight Watcher's friend. :?

~Linda

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:44 am

Actually I just read that people that eat more high fiber weigh less and when they lose weight they keep it off. So the only problem is Mary's not making that bread for me. :lol:

Here's a weird idea and it might melt but what about laminating the message and maybe then you could wrap that in foil. You could shape the foil like a heart. :roll:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Jen in Va

Post by Jen in Va » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:55 am

How about an empty Altoids can? I was cleaning out the van and ran across two--dd likes to stick her empties in the side door pocket.

Should have read the thread to the end...I see two others mentioned the mint tins.

I use the BreadBeckers recipe, too. Great stuff. I have the WonderMill--make great pancakes with their recipe--just add sucanat to their recipe.
Jen
Hsing mom of 3:
DS (20) college, home educated k-12
DD (17) 12th grade (2009-10), home educated
DS (6) Beyond (2009-10, have already started--loving it, btw!)