Placement Question for 5 yr old boy

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
kimryan421

Placement Question for 5 yr old boy

Post by kimryan421 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:17 am

My son turned 5 in December, he's reading on a 2nd grade level, just finished A Beka K math, is writing well, and able to copy sentences. I just purchased LHFHG to go through with him. At first I was planning on starting Beyond in August, he will be 5, turning 6 in December but now I'm not sure. What is the best way to go about this? Would it be a bad idea to finish LHFHG by Christmas, and after he turns 6 and Christmas break move straight into Beyond? I'm mostly concerned that when he advances into Bigger and Preparing the work might become too difficult and he won't be ready for the amount of time it will take each day.
Thanks,
Kimberly

crlacey

Re: Placement Question for 5 yr old boy

Post by crlacey » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:31 am

I'm not exactly sure what your plans are. It sounds as though you want to start using LHFHG now so that you can start Beyond in August. I would recommend starting LHFHG whenever you feel that both of you are ready. Then take it at a pace you are comfortable with. There would be no need to rush through it just to start a new guide in August. Many people will take a summer break and then just pick up where they left off in the guide. (They try to find a spot in the guide where they can finish whatever project they are working on.) If you take a summer break, this may put you starting Beyond around Christmas 2015.

We personally school year round, so we just open to the next page on the days we do school. When a guide is finished, we move to the next. Sometimes that means we start the "new school year" (August) with a new guide. Sometimes (like with my son), we start the new guide in February!
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH