Literature choices for advanced reader

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
doubleportion

Literature choices for advanced reader

Post by doubleportion » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:22 pm

I am currently doing Beyond with my 8 yr old ds. He has taken off with his reading skills and is now reading on a 7th grade reading level. I am scratching my head trying to figure how to keep him engaged but not give him material that is too mature or over his head content wise. Anyone else have an advanced reader and have some pointers?

Edie
dd 13 -Rev2Rev (enjoyed PHFHG, CTC, RTR)
ds 8 -Beyond
ds 6 LHFHG & ds 2 & ds 6 months
4 waiting for us with Jesus

MelInKansas

Re: Literature choices for advanced reader

Post by MelInKansas » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:44 pm

So he "can" read 7th grade reading level books but do you know how much of it he understands? Is he reading these books aloud or by himself? My guess would be that he is like my DD, yes she can get through books at a higher reading level but she doesn't understand a lot of what she reads at that level. The vocabulary is too high, there are too many words she's never encountered.

I wouldn't just give him 7th grade reading level to read. Are you doing DITHOR? At that age I would still have him reading aloud to you and working through the DITHOR 2/3 level student book and activities. As to what reading level, you could try 4/5. I would definitely try to find higher level reading that is still keeping him in relevant topics and not too serious for his age. But if he can handle the DITHOR 4/5 book packs those would probably be fine. You can read a higher level book and do the 2/3 level activities, which would probably work. I would also encourage you that if he likes reading in his free time find 4th grade or so level books that are really interesting to him and get him used to "feasting" on great books rather than just reading a lot for the sake of reading something. It is difficult (I have a voracious reader) to make sure the diet of books is high quality, but I just try to pre-screen and keep a good eye on what she's reading and ask her about what she's reading.

Does he complain that lower reading level is boring? I'm just curious about how he reacts to the different books he has read.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:54 pm

My dd is 6 and can practically read anything. She is VERY advanced.

For us, I just find stuff she likes. I promise that even though your child can read well, he will still be able to continue to read well as he moves up in grade and level. :-) If he likes to read, I would just keep offering more and more books of things that are interesting to him. My dd loves to read nonfiction books, loves to read about people, and she loves to read about animals. So she reads a few chapter books a week along with about half of her school books for Little Hearts. I know she can read well because she will read things out of her sister's CTC books and out of the Bigger books at times. But I don't make her read. I am just glad she can read and read well and know that once she moves up to Preparing and the higher levels, I know that she will not struggle due to reading.

Also, like Melissa said, does he comprehend what he reads? My dd comprehends what she read very well. And again, I just let her read, read and read some more. I don't worry about it at all. She loves to read and believe she always will :-) I would say the same for your son. If he comprehends now, he will probably always do this fairly well.

One thing, though, that I would make sure to do is to continue to read to him out loud. My dd loves when I read to her out loud. This will continue to help increase your son's vocabulary and help you make sure he is still comprehending well.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:41 pm

I'd pick a comfort level of reading and aim on the lower side of that, challenging him with DITHOR Student Workbook and plans. This is in an attempt to avoid the maturity of content that you'd get into with higher level books. Level 3 Book Pack books range from level 3.5 through 5.1. Level 4/5 Boy Interest books range from 4.0 through 5.7. I'd probably use Level 3 Books alongside Level 2/3 plans, or possibly Level 4/5 plans if he can write as well as he can read, thought I'd personally be reluctant to do that. Our almost 8 yo if tested right now would probably read at a similar level as your ds, but though he can read almost anything, he doesn't have the maturity to fully comprehend those higher level books, nor do I want him exposed to those more mature topics yet. Just doing DITHOR 2/3 Student Workbook writing and discussing main idea and supporting details, etc. (what we are working on now with him in DITHOR) has been challenge enough. The projects are also a challenge. I like to challenge him that way rather than going up and up in levels of books to read, as I want to avoid those too mature topics. Those are just my thoughts though - you will know best how you want to proceed with your ds! It is definitely a good dilemma to have. :wink: HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie