Our experiences with HOD

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
snadig

Our experiences with HOD

Post by snadig » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:52 pm

Well wonderful ladies I wanted to share our experiences with you all, and hope it will be helpful and encouraging.

We started with Hod 2 years ago.......We started with Beyond, Preparing, RevtoRev. You know change is hard, but not being settle in what you are doing is harder. We were Homeschooling, but what we were using just was not very smooth, and not as focused on the Lord. So with much prayer and searching we jumped into Hod. It has been an answer to prayer, and more than I could have ever asked for.

So we jumped in to a new way with Hod, at first the kids were trying to understand, it was different, but they did an amazing job. They kept telling me how much better it was and they love the books. We started on the lower age range of the guides, for a few reasons, I wanted joy, and not stress for them and me. God knew where they needed to be, because it wasn't all easy, but gave them places to grow. By the end of our first guides they were flying, and asking us not to ever change.

I also had the Lord working on me to be more organized, get a schedule. Well I am doing better, but am a work in progress, praise God for His grace and mercies. I am a copy cat and look for the wonderful ladies that are a bit more on top of things and see what I could glean from them. The message board was very helpful.

Our first guides are not as fresh in my mind, but the things that stick out to me with them are: Beyond- all the great books, bible, copy work( oh my son did not like writing) but he needed it, I also learned not to add too many extras, just leave the extras laying around and they read them on their own :lol: My son would just read the World book for fun.

Preparing- I love Preparing. So many wonderful books. It is always brought back to the bible. This guide gave my daughter a chance to grow in some other areas, she would get frustrated with feeling a bit too old for some things, but others she needed to work on. Dictation sticks out, she hated - until I moved her to the level she could be more successful at, now she is doing great and her spelling is slowly coming along( she will always have a hard time).

RevtoRev- My daughter thought she was going to be able just go right through this easy. There is a lot there, and it is really is great. She did get going faster then I thought, but is so glad that is where she started. She had to grow in others areas, time management, bible study, work ethic, this worked great for her. She got to read all her siblings books also. :lol:

Now we are finishing up CtC and MTMM, and Bigger in about 9 weeks.

MTMM- I went back and forth on weather or not to move her right to the High School guide, but in the end chose MTMM. I guess you could say the Lord chose! Wow. From the bible study to the worldview, to her history readings. She needed to be in this guide. She was surprised how much more work it was, but rose to the challenge. Some of the books, she couldn't read, she was just to sensitive to them, that is alright. I said that is why Carrie puts in the warnings. I did add in Chem dvd, and a economics dvd. That was enough for dvds, she started to get burned out on them, as there are some in the guide also. The last part of science in the guide has gone along so well what we are doing at Sunday school(adult class) it has been amazing.

Ctc- I have enjoyed seeing what my daughter gets in her narrations and timeline, she is really learning a lot, more than I can remember at times. Love the books. She could have been pushed more in some of the history, note booking more, but we have other areas she needs to grow, math and writing. I really like write with the best. It wasn't easy for her, but she is writing more because of it. Again, the Lord knows where they need to be, so not everything is hard. She wants more science stuff. She really liked the books, but felt the experiments were to young for her. I told to enjoy the easy part as it will get more involved as she gets older. Two books were hard for both of us to get through, but over all we persevered and really have learned together.

Bigger- Well I started this guide half speed. My son needed to work on writing. I didn't want him to get to Preparing to soon until his writing was better and could handle doing more in general. Well we are finishing the last half(13 weeks) of the guide full speed. He really has grown into the guide. Great books.

We will be start our 3rd year and couldn't be happier. I always get a bit freaked out about getting organized and figuring out what I am doing, but it works out. I do hope it is encouraging to others and to those looking at Hod. Is everything prefect and happy all the time..........no :lol: , but God is still working on all of us. I still have days where I want to toss the English book, math book out the window........but then I just stop and take a break. Where I lack in my understanding of Math, English or whatever(which is most things) the Lord will fill in what they need.

Well I will try to some weekly check ins this year. Happy home schooling. May the Lord bless your walk with Him.
Stacey
Stacey in Co

Married 21years to my best friend
my wonderful kids:
19-dd-College student Aug 18
17-dd-US 1 Histroy -Aug 18
13-ds-MTMM - Aug 18
Finished:Beyond,Bigger,Preparing,RtoR,RevtoRev,CtC,MtMM,WH,AH1,AH2

heidip2p

Re: Our experiences with HOD

Post by heidip2p » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:52 pm

Words cannot even describe how encouraging your post was for me. I have been wrestling with making some changes but God just keeps confirming that we are right where we need to be. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your heart. It was a huge blessing for me.
Heidi momma to 8

snadig

Re: Our experiences with HOD

Post by snadig » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:35 pm

I am so glad it was encouraging.

I need to keep reminding myself that the Lord has each of the kids right where He wants them, not where I think they should be. This can be hard for me, and it usually is when I take my eyes off the Lord and start looking around me at what others are doing. If we need to make changes He will help us to know, that is how we came to HOD, we needed change and the Lord knew.

Now I just need to keep my eyes up and not look down. This has been a bit hard for me lately. I have some friends that do things that make me second guess what we are doing, and then I have family who tells me that my kids need more friends, they are bored, that is why they like to read some much, they are't doing enough with friends. :roll: I am trying not to let it bug me too much, but it is hard, they make you feel like you are ruining your kids.

Then my wonderful husband reminds me we aren't here to please family, friends, or the world, but to do what God wants and bring Him glory. So this is where I am trying to do what the Lord has asked me to do..........homeschool..........I really love it, even on the hard days. :D So now to go to Him in prayer and seek His strength for all the stuff I just do not know how to do.

Let's run this race together one day at a time!
blessings,
Stacey
Proverbs 17:22 A joyful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit dries up the bones. This was my sons verse today in Bigger. It was a "thump" on the head from the Lord for me today. :lol:
Stacey in Co

Married 21years to my best friend
my wonderful kids:
19-dd-College student Aug 18
17-dd-US 1 Histroy -Aug 18
13-ds-MTMM - Aug 18
Finished:Beyond,Bigger,Preparing,RtoR,RevtoRev,CtC,MtMM,WH,AH1,AH2